Clerk’s Corner: State honors veterans with special license plates |

Clerk’s Corner: State honors veterans with special license plates

Lila Herod
Do you have questions or comments? Contact me, Lila Herod, at 970-824-9118 or send me an email at  

Happy Birthday America. When sparks fly this Fourth of July, let’s be sure to reflect upon our independence and celebrate the blessings and freedoms we enjoy as Americans.

The Constitution, and its amendments, guarantee each American certain rights, such as freedom of speech, freedom of religion, freedom to gather and assemble, and freedom to criticize our government without fear of retribution. In many countries these simple actions can get one arrested or even killed. Although it is within our rights to exercise these freedoms, we must keep in mind the very reason we have them. These privileges are ours only because of the thousands of men and women who have laid down their lives for each and every one of us.

Colorado recognizes and honors the thousands of citizens in the military who serve and protect their communities, state and country by offering 38 different military license plates, such as the Fallen Soldier, all of the Armed Services Branches, and distinguished service designations. The complete list of military license plates can be viewed online at http://www.Colorado.Gov. Department of Revenue- Division of Motor Vehicles.

There are 11 special military license plates available specifically for disabled veterans, which are free and exempt of all taxes and fees for the first time. These plates are issued by the state and the applicant must meet at least one of the following requirements:

  1. Permanent service connected disability rate of 50% or more,
  2. Loss or permanent loss of use of one or both feet,
  3. Loss or permanent loss of use one or both hands,
  4. Loss of sight in both eyes.

Verification of the qualifications need to be in written form from the Veterans’ Administration, which states the individual has a permanent service disability. They must also have an Honorable Discharge from a branch of the Armed Services and a copy of their DD214 discharge papers. Ownership of the vehicle must be established in the applicant’s county of residence, and then the paper work is submitted to the Department of Revenue. To obtain a second set or additional Disabled Veteran plates, you may visit or contact the County Motor Vehicle Office at 970-824-9104. There is a one-time fee of $50 in addition to applicable taxes and fees.

On this Fourth of July, we extend our gratitude to our veterans, past and present, who have given their lives in the name of freedom, and for those who serve and survived. President John F Kennedy once declared, “Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.”

Until next month….Cheers! Lila Herod, Moffat County clerk and recorder