Boys and Girls Club executive director offers thanks
Boys & Girls Club appreciates support
To the editor:
June 14th marks the first anniversary of the Boys & Girls Club of Craig.
When we first asked for the support of residents of Craig and Moffat County, our theme was “A Building for All — Building Kids.” We hoped to provide a facility that would be widely used by the community, while providing a place for our youth development and character building programs. Collaborative efforts with our city and county governments resulted in the old armory becoming locally owned. Front Range grants have provided more than $200,000 in renovations.
We are pleased that more than 30 local organizations have been utilizing our community’s old armory since renovating the building in our role as “caretakers” for the community. The Moffat County School District’s Alternative School, Horizons Specialized Services and Craig Parks & Recreation have been regular users of the building. Additionally, special events such as After Prom, Young Life, scout troop events, youth soccer teams and many other youth functions have kept the building active to the point it is frequently used seven days per week.
A 13,000-aquare-foot building obviously generates expenses for utilities, insurance and related overhead. Financial support from local individuals and businesses have provided approximately 60 percent of the monthly cost of making the building available to the community, and the BGCC has covered the other 40 percent as part of operational costs.
In addition to being a community asset, the building has made the programs for the BGCC possible. We have been fortunate to meet our program expenses with a few grants from Front Range foundations, the Boys and Girls Club of America, local contributions, and the generosity of our board of directors.
The directors have collaboratively provided $100,000 to cover our start-up expenses and enable us to offer a variety of youth development and professional staff. We also are pleased with the growing financial support we are receiving from the families of our young members, which we feel is indicative of their acknowledgement of the value of having a safe place for kids that also reinforces positive behavior and character development.
Going into our second year, we hope the community is pleased with the asset our building provides, as well as what is being done for our youth. It is with sincere appreciation that I acknowledge and thank those in our community who are helping us help kids.
Boys and Girls Club of Craig executive director
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Craig and Moffat County make the Craig Press’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
In another setting, Skiers thrive in cold weather.