Weekend Roundup: Happy hoops, poker power, snowshoe speed
January 18, 2019
Indoors or outdoors, there are a handful of options for sporting entertainment in Moffat County this weekend.
Moffat County High School basketball teams play their first Western Slope League home games Friday and Saturday against league opponents Grand Valley Friday and Cedaredge Saturday afternoons.
The game schedule include girls junior varsity, boys JV, girls varsity and boys varsity.
C-Teams also take on Battle Mountain Saturday morning at Craig Middle School.
Friday games are free for all spectators, with admission covered by Craig Association of Realtors.
When: Varsity, JV games start at 3 p.m. Friday, noon Saturday; C-Team games start at 10 a.m. Saturday
Where: Varsity, JV games at MCHS, 900 Finley Lane; C-Team games at CMS, 915 Yampa Ave.
Cost: Friday games free; Saturday games $5
For more information: 970-824-7036
Dashing through the snow
The Dinosaur 100 Trail Race Series snowshoe races run January and February at locations in Moffat and Routt counties.
Each race is designed to be approximately 3.2 to 4.2 miles, a 5K or longer, with all experience levels welcome.
When: 10 a.m. Saturday
Where: First race at Loudy-Simpson Park, 600 S. Ranney St.; additional races Jan. 26 at Rabbit Ears Pass, Fox Curve; Feb. 2 at Stagecoach State Park; Feb. 9 at Steamboat Lake
Cost: Advance entry $25
For more information: snowshoesteamboat.com or Dinsoaur100.com
Pick a card…
Northwest Colorado Snowmobile Club also will host its annual Poker Run fundraiser Saturday, starting at the Freeman Reservoir parking lot.
Snowmobilers head along the path to several stations and pick up a playing card to form a poker hand. Those with the best results win 25 percent of the total collected with 15 percent for second place and 10 percent for third.
Winners will be announced at an awards ceremony that night, with additional door prizes donated by local businesses are also up for grabs. Money raised during the Poker Run goes to the group's scholarship efforts, last year awarding $1,000 apiece to two local students, the majority of which was raised during the event.
Recommended Stories For You
When: Registration begins at 9:30 a.m., awards at 6 p.m. Saturday
Where: Poker Run at Freeman Reservoir; awards at Vallarta’s, 2705 W. Victory Way
Cost: Hands $10 apiece, $25 for three
For more information: northwestcoloradosnowmobileclub.org
Do you have an upcoming weekend entertainment item to promote? To submit events for Weekend Roundup, email details including time, date, place, cost and a description of the event to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Trending In: Sports
- Colorado OTC, leftover hunting licenses on sale this week
- Sharpest shooters take honors for Craig Trap Club Polar Bear League
- Live for Levi: Moffat County Youth Wrestling tournament honors late athlete
- Moffat County boys win league meet; Bulldog track, field athletes claim 6 Western Slope titles
- Moffat County track runs, jumps to more wins in Rifle
- 2 Western Slope men die in backcountry avalanche near Crested Butte
- Pickup truck rolls Saturday on Moffat County Road 7
- Keep the legacy going: Moffat County wrestling places 5 at regionals, Bulldogs sending 4 to state
- Craig police donate two historic firearms to Museum of Northwest Colorado
- 4 Colorado State Patrol trooper vehicles hit in 4 days