Craig’s CNCC soccer back in action
August 31, 2017
The sophomore season has begun for Colorado Northwestern Community College soccer teams.
The newest of the CNCC athletic squads will host its first home games this weekend with a triangular event that will include Wyoming's Gillette College and Trinidad State Junior College.
The Spartans will play Gillette starting at 2 p.m. Friday and Trinidad at 1 p.m. Sunday. Trinidad and Gillette will face off against each other Saturday afternoon.
All games will take place at the CNCC fields at Loudy-Simpson Park.
Joe Eades heads the men's team following an assistant role last year under then-coach Lance Noble.
"We've got around eight from Texas and five from Colorado this year and from other places," he said. "The good thing about this is this freshman class, everybody loves them, gets along. We're building a base, going into a building year."
Recommended Stories For You
The roster is largely freshman in their first year with CNCC and college sports. Hugo Snyder is one of only two players returning from the Spartans' inaugural season.
"I'm looking forward to seeing this program grow and how it turns out in the next few years even after I'm gone," Snyder said.
The women's team will be headed by Brian Arendale, from Nederland, Texas, who has been a fixture of soccer at nearly all levels for more than 30 years.
"We're working hard to come up with enough girls to play, unfortunately I got up here late, and a lot of girls have already picked the schools they're going to, but they're hoping to get more, get practices and playing in a bit," he said.
In addition to scrimmages in Scottsbluff, Nebraska, the men's team recently played their first regular season games, Tuesday in Goodland, Kansas and Wednesday in Sterling against Northeastern Junior College.
CNCC men fell 4-0 to Goodland's Northwest Kansas Technical College and 3-1 in Sterling, scoring the opening goal in the latter.
"Every game we've played, they've improved, and that's all I can ask for them," Eades said.
Trending In: Sports
- Weekend Roundup: Happy hoops, poker power, snowshoe speed
- Delta deals a defeat to Moffat County baseball
- Hoop dreams: Moffat County’s Brooke Gumber signs with Gillette College basketball
- Moffat County swimmers 4th at conference finals, finish regular season with state times in 9 events
- The finish line: Moffat County track ends season with 9 state medals
- Municipal polling cast into doubt — Moffat County County Clerk’s office has no one certified to conduct elections
- Video captures moose chasing skiers Saturday at Breckenridge Ski Resort
- Audacious faith, gift from Kum & Go, to bring Craig family together in Malawi, Africa
- The cat’s meow: Western Slope entrepreneur couple pitch feline products on ABC’s ‘Shark Tank’
- Snowy, slick conditions see myriad motorists in need of help: On the Record — Jan. 18 through 20