Mary Joanna Puff Barnes
August 12, 2015
Mary Jo Barnes
6/9/1932 – 8/4/2015
Mary Johanna Puff Barnes was born at home on June 9, 1932 to Joseph A. and Mary Rosalind Puff in Hazleton, Iowa. She was the eldest for four children. Mary Jo’s family moved from Iowa to the Yampa Valley in 1944 where she later attended Hayden Union High School.
She married Robert Vail Barnes May 7, 1949 and to this union six children were born: Bobby Joe, David, Kathy, Suzie, Becky, and Sam. She and her husband shared a love for the land on which they raised hay, wheat, cattle, and sheep. She was a school bus driver for thirty years, and an avid gardener and homemaker. She will be remembered for her cooking skills (not always fondly) and her fun-loving ways, and gift for making everyone laugh.
Mary Jo worked at The Haven for many years, often caring for residents younger than herself. She especially enjoyed playing games with the residents and continued to volunteer after her retirement. She enjoyed spending time with the residents as mush as they did with her.
Mary Jo passed away at her home on Tuesday, August 4, surrounded by her loved ones after a courageous battle with cancer. She is survived by her son Bobby Joe (Betty) Barnes, daughter Kathy (Dave) Smith, daughter Suzie (Kraig) Copeland. daughter Becky (Jerry) Stephenson, and son Sam (Holley) Barnes, and many grandchildren, great grandchildren, and great-great grandchildren, her sister Rosie Puff, her sister-in-law Charlene Barnes, and numerous nieces and nephews.
She was preceded in death by her husband Bob, son David, grandson Anthony Camilletti, and great granddaughter Emily Barnes, as well as her parents, Joe and Rosalind Puff, and siblings Byron “Butch” Puff and Margaret Talkington.
- Moffat County’s Kasen Brennise staying tough following rodeo accident
- 2 Moffat County High School students drive away winners of the ‘Aspire to Excellence Car Give Away’
- Craig Police seek information on man wanted for burglary
- Graduation 2018: Moffat County sports honors top student-athletes
- House cats reportedly poisoned: On the Record May 23