Doris Fern Poen Ashlimen
February 3, 2012
Doris Fern Poen Ashliman was born Feb. 27, 1929, the second oldest of four girls to Leo G. Poen and Sarah Ruth Ashcraft, in Matheson.
She died Jan. 23, 2012, in her home surrounded by many loved ones.
She was 82.
Doris graduated high school in Calhan. She worked at the telephone company in Calhan until she married the love of her life, Orval Lee "Red" Ashliman, on Dec. 4, 1949.
While they lived in Edgemont, S.D., they had their three children, Randy, Debbie and Donna.
In 1958, they moved to Craig, where they spent the next 48 years raising their children, working in the community and being active members of First Congregational Church.
Doris loved playing cards and was a member of bridge and pinochle clubs, and continued to play cards until the final week of her life.
She babysat, sold Avon, was a secretary for the school system and ran a household.
In 2006, Doris and Red moved to Colorado Springs. Doris welcomed three children, 12 grandchildren and 31 great grandchildren into this world.
Doris was always a very loving, devoted and giving individual to her family, friends and community. She will be sorely missed by all.
Doris was preceded in death by her parents, two sisters and her husband.
She is survived by a sister, three children, and all of her grandchildren and great grandchildren.
Trending In: Obituaries
- Craig man arrested after allegedly brandishing Bowie knife, rifle against Moffat County deputies
- Wolf reintroduction an unwelcome idea in Moffat County
- Twin allegedly uses brother’s info to try to obtain driver’s license: On the record Tuesday, Feb. 20
- Q&A: Craig native Tyler Pogline focused, fierce leading into upcoming boxing bout
- Sunset Elementary School teacher got start at age 3