Two accuse officer of unlawful use of force |

Two accuse officer of unlawful use of force

Christina M. Currie

— Two Craig women have accused Craig Police Department Officer Doug Kaiser of unlawful use of force after a July 25 incident.

One of the women, Lyndsey Wolschon, said she received a bloodied lip and Suzanne Fadley said she received a bruised arm.

According to Fadley, a group of teen-agers, including her children, had gathered in her yard that Sunday night. They were having a water fight, playing hackie sack and talking. They were quiet and well-supervised, she said.

Around 11 p.m., Fadley’s son, Kenneth Durrant, ran across the street to escape being drenched by his sister. On the way back to the house, Durrant stopped to let two cars pass, one of which was officer Kaiser, who according to Fadley, was driving without his headlights.

Fadley’s statement of complaint against the officer reads, “Kaiser turned on his headlights and got out of his car and started yelling at (Durrant).”

Fadley, backed by nine witnesses, said Kaiser grabbed Durrant and twisted his arm around his back. Fadley said when she tried to intervene by placing herself between her son and Kaiser, Kaiser grabbed her arm hard enough to leave bruises. As the statement reads, when Durrant told Kaiser to leave his mother alone, Kaiser drew back and punched Wolschon, who was holding Durrant’s hand at the time.

According to Wolschon, the blow chipped her tooth and bloodied her lip.

“He looked me straight in the eye and did it,” Wolschon said. “I think it was intentional.”

The scene was broken up when other officers arrived.

“Kaiser had called for backup and thank God officer (Brian) Soper showed up because he dragged Kaiser off and calmed him down,” Fadley said. “I really am thankful for officer Soper.”

Jeromy Vigil, 19, was on the scene and filed a report as a witness.

“The actions the officer took were totally inappropriate and uncalled for at the time,” he said. “(Durrant) wasn’t doing anything wrong. This goes against what a cop is supposed to do to serve and protect.”

Nine people filed statements as witnesses to the event, along with the complaints from Fadley and Wolschon.

According to Fadley, Kaiser stopped because there had been noise complaints about the gathering. She spoke to her neighbors asking if there had been a problem and found none that made a complaint.

Monique Foulk, a neighbor, was outside cooking on the grill July 25 and said she didn’t hear anything until police officers arrived.

“If there had been any amount of unreasonable noise, I would have heard it,” she said.

There is no report of a noise complaint in the police blotter for that night.

No arrests were made.

“Of course there was no arrest,” Fadley said. “There was no reason for an arrest. The kids were in the driveway supervised by an adult. Nothing illegal was going on.”

Those who were on the scene, including Durrant, say they can’t think of any reason Kaiser even stopped.

In the police blotter, the only indication of the event listed is a contact with a juvenile male. There is nothing that indicates a problem beforehand or a call of complaint.

Both Fadley and Wolschon went to the police station later that night to file a complaint.

Sgt. Bill Leonard took the complaint, but would not comment on the status of the case, nor would he say what Kaiser was doing on the scene. He forwarded all inquiries to public information officer Lt. John Forgay who did not return multiple telephone calls.

Kaiser is still an active officer and has not been placed on leave of any kind.

It is the fact that Kaiser is still patrolling and still armed that bothers Fadley.

“The police-state mentality in this town is totally uncalled for,” she said. “They can’t be breaking the laws they’re supposed to be enforcing. If I had done what he’s done, I’d be charged with assault, but because he’s a cop and carries a gun it’s OK.”