Sunday trailer fire in Craig deemed total loss
Craig Fire/Rescue firefighter treated and released for heat exhaustion
A Craig Fire/Rescue firefighter was briefly hospitalized Sunday for heat exhaustion after responding to a trailer fire on East Fourth Street near the Moffat County Fairgrounds.
Battalion Chief Dennis Jones said the firefighter was taken to The Memorial Hospital in Craig due to exposure to heat sustained while fighting the fire.
“We took one to the ER with heat exhaustion,” Jones said. “He was treated and released.”
Jones said no one was home during the fire, which was ignited by a fallen lamp.
“We determined it was a lamp that had tipped over and landed on some combustible material and started that on fire,” Jones said. “It just kind of spread from there.”
The trailer was a total loss.
Sunday’s blaze was Craig’s second trailer fire in 10 days and third in six months. Resident Kenny Savage lost his home June 7 when a space heater tipped over and sparked a blaze that engulfed his 20-foot camper. On Dec. 25, 2011, Charles Hurtt and Frances Burkleo died when a wood-burning stove on the porch of their trailer home caught fire and spread to the rest of the residence.
Despite the close proximity of the three fires, Jones said each presented a different scenario to firefighters and that all three occurring in trailer homes doesn’t constitute an added safety threat to Craig residents who live in similar residences.
“Each one was unique in its own way,” he said. “It’s just unfortunate that it comes in that part of the neighborhood and (each) happened to be in a trailer house.”
Craig building inspector Dave Costa said residences in trailer parks generally fall into two categories — travel trailers and manufactured residences.
While the manufactured residences, such as the one that burned Sunday, are regulated by state codes, Costa said travel trailers, like Savage’s camper, are “unregulated.”
“The manufactured houses are the (Housing and Urban Development) or (International Residential Code) constructed structures that fall under the State of Colorado manufactured housing guidelines and criteria in regards to blocking, tie-downs and those type of things,” he said. “As far as trying to regulate travel trailers, there’s nothing in our codes that would require us to do so.
“They’re not built to any type of standards that we typically would regulate. They’re a recreational vehicle, that’s what they are.”
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Craig and Moffat County make the Craig Press’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
Michael Egan was returning to Fort Lauderdale, Florida, last Saturday, Jan 22, after hitting the slopes in Steamboat Springs, but, as his flight accelerated toward takeoff, something wasn’t right.