Shooting suspect awaits decision | CraigDailyPress.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Shooting suspect awaits decision

A district court judge is expected to decide today whether a juvenile suspect in the shooting death of James Calvin Pogline will be charged as an adult.

Earlier this month, prosecutors received an extension until Nov. 29 to file charges against Hugo Antino Silva-Larios, 16, who is being held in connection with the Oct. 22 shooting.

But charges filed by the district attorney against the juvenile could be sealed unless Judge Paul McLimans determines that Silva-Larios will be tried as an adult, a Moffat County court clerk said.



Silva-Larios is at the Grand Mesa Division of Youth Corrections in Grand Junction on a charge of possession of a dangerous weapon.

Lt. John Forgay of the Craig Police Department said Silva-Larios may face at least one charge of second-degree murder, but that the district attorney may file more charges.



According to testimony by Craig Police officers, Silva-Larios admitted to possessing and shooting a sawed-off .22-caliber rifle at the Timberglen Apartments on Oct. 22. Kris Hammond, Silva-Larios’ attorney, questioned whether the Spanish-speaking juvenile knew what he was admitting to.

Pogline, 32, suffered a fatal gunshot wound to the head.


Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Craig and Moffat County make the Craig Press’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.

 

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User