Shed, trailer damaged in fire in Craig Monday
Editor’s Note: This story was updated Tuesday, Aug. 7.
CRAIG — A fire damaged a structure and trailer on the north side of town Monday, Aug. 6, destroying the family home.
About 6:22 p.m., dispatch alerted first responders of the fire, saying a woman called to report needing help with a fire in a shed next to a house on the 1400 block of Heather Street in the Jensen Subdivision, adding that the caller was unable to extinguish the fire on her own.
The woman was later identified herself as Carina Olivera, of Craig.
Craig Fire Rescue responded to the call. Fire trucks had to detour to enter Jensen subdivision on the north end of town due to the closure of 13th Street between Colorado Highway 13 and School Street. Once the trucks arrived, crews began hosing the structure down, but not before the adjacent trailer had also been damaged.
The cause of the fire was a propane grill that was in use in close proximity to combustibles, said Moffat County Sheriff and Craig Fire Chief KC Hume.
Olivera and her dog were the only ones home at the time. Her husband and 2-year old daughter were away from the residence when the fire broke out. Olivera was transported to The Memorial Hospital with injuries resulting from the fire. The family’s dog was unharmed and was reunited with its owners, though — according to scanner traffic — not before biting one of its rescuers, who was also treated at the hospital.
Memorial Regional Health Emergency Medical Services and the Craig Police Department also responded to the fire.
Contact Sasha Nelson at 970-875-1794 or snelson@CraigDailyPress.com.
New school record, outdone expectations at state mark bright future for Moffat County track and field
With Saturday bringing with it a new team record, a competition that nearly didn’t happen, and a bet with some slippery stakes, never let it be said that Moffat County High School track and field athletes don’t make their season exciting right up until the very end.