Salvation Army seeks new volunteers | CraigDailyPress.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Salvation Army seeks new volunteers

Staff report

— Members of the Craig chapter of the Salvation Army want to do more.

The group’s funds help residents who need temporary assistance to get back on their feet after being knocked down.

With local unemployment increasing, that might be the kind of help people need, said Amy Fontenot, Craig chapter secretary and Daily Press circulation manager.

“Honestly, I think our economy in Craig hasn’t been so bad, and yet we’ve definitely had increased need this year,” she said. “We’re considering how we can do more, because requests have gone up.”

To accomplish that, however, the group may require more people, Fontenot said.

The Craig chapter plans to host a public meeting at 7 p.m. July 28 at the Craig Fire Station, 419 Yampa Ave., for anyone interested in learning more about the Salvation Army and what it does locally.

“Really, we’re also doing this so we can have some fresh blood that has a passion to do different things,” Fontenot said.

The Craig chapter’s sole fundraiser each year is the “kettle campaign,” where volunteers solicit donations during the holidays outside local businesses and deposit them into large, red pots.

Fontenot said the group would like to do more kettle collections – possibly at large events, such as the Moffat County Fair or Whittle the Wood Rendezvous – but that would take more volunteers.

She added she hopes new community members could help the Craig chapter come up with new ideas.

To her, the Salvation Army fulfills a special purpose as one of several active charity organizations in Moffat County, a purpose which Fontenot said may appeal to community members.

Volunteers make up the entire Craig chapter, which means there are no overhead costs, she said.

About 90 percent of funds raised in the community are given out to local residents, with the other 10 percent going toward a national disaster relief fund.

The group also commits itself to only providing temporary assistance, Fontenot said. That is, donations are for people with plans to help themselves.

“I really like this organization,” she said. “I just wish we could do more.”

For more information, call the Salvation Army Craig chapter at 756-HELP.


Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Craig and Moffat County make the Craig Press’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.

For tax deductible donations, click here.
 

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User