Routt County Sheriff’s Office making arrangements for paralyzed murder suspect |

Routt County Sheriff’s Office making arrangements for paralyzed murder suspect

— The Routt County woman accused of killing her 9-year-old son is paralyzed at a Denver hospital, and it is unclear whether the damage is permanent.

Because of her medical condition, the Routt County Sheriff’s Office is making special arrangements, officials said Tuesday.

Lisa Marie Lesyshen was flown to Denver Health Medical Center two weeks ago with a self-inflicted gunshot wound to her neck area, and she has been guarded by Sheriff’s Office deputies ever since.

It is creating a strain on the Sheriff’s Office, and Sheriff Garrett Wiggins said the bills are adding up. The deputies are being paid overtime, and the county also has to pay for their food, transportation and lodging. Undersheriff Ray Birch estimated it is costing the county between $800 and $1,000 a day to guard Lesyshen.

Wiggins was hoping that by Wednesday a private security company hired by the county would begin guarding Lesyshen at a cost of about $580 a day. Birch said the services offered by the company are often used by other agencies in the states.

It is still unclear when Lesyshen might be healthy enough to be released from the hospital, where Wiggins said she is no longer in the intensive care unit.

Once Lesyshen is well enough, the Sheriff’s Office is arranging to have her held at the infirmary at the Denver Downtown Detention Center. That would cost $586 a day plus the cost of medications and supplies.

By comparison, it costs $52.50 a day to house a healthy inmate at the Routt County Jail.

Lesyshen has been charged with first-degree murder, child abuse causing death and domestic violence. She is accused of shooting her only son, Asher Lesyshen-Kirlan, five times in the early hours of May 29 before turning the gun on herself. According to court documents, Lesyshen told her husband Michael Kirlan that she shot their only child because she wanted to hurt Kirlan. The couple lived together at their Stagecoach home but were in the process of separating. Kirlan awoke to the sound of gunshots that night but was not injured himself.

According to court documents, Lesyshen admitted to investigators that she shot her son.

Investigators are in the process of seizing Lesyshen’s cell phone records, according to a warrant filed with the court.

The warrant reveals some new details about what investigators have learned.

According to the warrant, Kirlan told his wife on May 27 that he was in a relationship with another woman. That same day, Lesyshen bought a Smith & Wesson .22-caliber revolver from a Steamboat pawn shop after passing a background check. Also that day at about 6:30 p.m., a neighbor told investigators she had a conversation with Lesyshen via text messages. The neighbor reported that Lesyshen asked her if she had any .22-caliber bullets because kids were coming over to shoot guns off the deck. The neighbor told her she did not have any bullets.

The next day, May 28, investigators say Lesyshen went to a Steamboat gun store and bought bullets. Kirlan received a text message from his wife later that day asking if he was coming home, according to a warrant. The shootings occurred in the early morning hours of May 29.

To reach Matt Stensland, call 970-871-4247 or email

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Craig and Moffat County make the Craig Press’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User