Rig Count for Dec. 29
A count on oil and natural gas rigs, as of Friday, operating in Colorado, Wyoming and the U.S. overall, according to Baker Hughes, Inc., a Houston-based energy consulting company:
• Colorado has 57 rigs online — the same as Dec. 21, but 20 less than Dec. 30, 2011.
• Wyoming has 49 rigs online — the same as Dec. 21, but 7 less than Dec. 30, 2011.
• The U.S. has 1,763 rigs online — 11 less than Dec. 21, and 244 less than Dec. 30, 2011.
Of those rigs:
— 1,692 are working on land, 20 in inland waters, and 51 offshore.
— 1,327 are drilling for oil, 431 for natural gas.
— 175 wells are directional, 1,111 are horizontal, and 477 are vertical.
As of the close of trading Thursday:
• Crude oil closed up 74 cents from a week ago at $90.87 a barrel on the New York
• Colorado Southeast crude oil closed up 50 cents from a week ago at $78.10 a barrel.
• Colorado Western crude oil closed up 50 cents from a week ago at $77.63 a barrel.
• Wyoming Sweet crude oil closed up 74 cents from a week ago at $79.87 a barrel.
• Natural gas closed down 9 cents from a week ago at $3.35 per 10,000 million British thermal units or MMBtu.
— Information compiled by Joe Moylan, Craig Daily Press
With an above-average snowpack following a snowy winter, local firefighters and wildlife experts are expecting a mild fire season this year, especially at higher elevations.