Potential disaster averted | CraigDailyPress.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Potential disaster averted

Chimney fire causes no damage

Paul Shockley

Craig Fire and Rescue said creo soot built-up in the chimney of a Thompson Hill home was the source of a flare-up Thursday morning.

But two quick-thinking kids had police and fire personnel on scene at 1066 Ranney Street within minutes, dowsing an over-heated wood burning stove with water and inspecting the chimney for damage.

Tessa Mirante, 12, ran bare-footed on snow across the street to a neighbor, along with her brother, eight-year-old Maury, to call the fire department.

“I could see the steam coming out of the roof,” Maury said.

The over-heated stove was dowsed with water by Moffat County Sheriff Buddy Grinstead, who arrived first on the scene, according fire chief Roy Mason.

Maury said the wood-stove fire flared after he placed extra logs on the flames.

“I tried squirting it with water,” he said. “The thermometer went over 400 degrees.”

Firefighters scaled the roof and were able to clean sections of the clogged chimney. There was no damage to the home, Mason said.

Paul Shockley can be reached at 824-7031 or at pshockley@craigdailypress.com


Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Craig and Moffat County make the Craig Press’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.

For tax deductible donations, click here.
 

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User