Phase wire burn causes homes, radio station to lose power | CraigDailyPress.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Phase wire burn causes homes, radio station to lose power

Josh Nichols

About 10 to 15 homes and a local radio station were without power for a short time Tuesday night when a phase wire burned on Cedar Mountain north of Craig.

Vic Rose, line supervisor for Yampa Valley Electric, described the cause of the outage as “fatigue” in the wiring.

He said Yampa Valley Electric was already in the process of replacing the old wiring on the mountain when the phase wire burned Tuesday night.

The radio station KRAI 93.7 in Craig, whose tower is located on Cedar Mountain, was off the air for a few hours as a result of the burned phase wire.

Rose said Yampa Valley Electric received a report of the outage at 7 p.m.

Part of the system was back on by 10 p.m., he said, and the entire system was back up by 12:30 a.m.

Rose described Tuesday night’s occurrence as “pretty routine.”

“I’m just glad it didn’t start a fire,” he said. “That’s our main concern at this time of year with

these conditions.”


Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Craig and Moffat County make the Craig Press’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.

For tax deductible donations, click here.
 

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User