Over-the-counter, leftover licenses offered for Colorado hunting

Craig Daily Press Staff Report
A rutting bull elk bugles near Browns Park National Wildlife Refuge in Northwest Colorado as he tries to sneak into a nearby herd. Over-the-counter licenses for hunting season will soon go on sale, as well as leftover limited licenses.
Courtesy Photo

Starting at 9 a.m. Tuesday, hunters preparing for a trip to Colorado can purchase over-the-counter licenses both online, in person and by the phone at 1-800-244-5613.

OTC licenses with caps for bear and elk will be available but are limited in number and only available on a first-come, first-served basis. These licenses have season participation rules that can be found within the 2015 Big Game Brochure on page 59 for bear and page 33 for elk. 

Big game unlimited OTC licenses are licenses are available in a range of units and seasons. These licenses are restricted to certain units and manners of take, information for which can be found in the 2015 big game brochure.

Additionally, leftover big game limited licenses and OTC turkey licenses will be on sale in person at Colorado Parks & Wildlife locations and license agents and by phone at 1-800-244-5613 starting at 9 a.m. Aug. 4. They will be available for sale online starting at midnight Aug. 5.

A list of leftover licenses — which have gone through the draw process and still have a quota remaining — will be available online through CPW on July 28.

Those who plan to purchase leftover licenses at license agents or CPW offices should be prepared before they arrive. This will help the process run as efficiently as possible.

Those purchasing a license need the following:

• Driver’s license or state issued identification card

• Proof of hunter education: hunter education card or a Colorado hunting license with verified hunter education

• Social Security Number for anyone 12 or older if not already on file

• Customer Identification Number, if you have previously purchased a license in Colorado

• Proof of residency, if you are planning to purchase a resident license

• A prioritized list of hunt codes for licenses you are interested in

Those planning to purchase a license for someone else need:

• A clear copy of both sides of their driver’s license/state issued identification card

• A clear copy of both sides of their hunter education card or a previous Colorado hunting license with verified hunter education

• Social Security Number

• Customer Identification Number

• Hunt codes

A license can only be purchased for another hunter in person and cannot be done over the phone.

For more information, call CPW at 303-297-1192. To get started with purchasing a license online, visit For a list of CPW offices and licensing agents, visit

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Craig and Moffat County make the Craig Press’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.