Over-the-counter, leftover licenses offered for Colorado hunting
Starting at 9 a.m. Tuesday, hunters preparing for a trip to Colorado can purchase over-the-counter licenses both online, in person and by the phone at 1-800-244-5613.
OTC licenses with caps for bear and elk will be available but are limited in number and only available on a first-come, first-served basis. These licenses have season participation rules that can be found within the 2015 Big Game Brochure on page 59 for bear and page 33 for elk.
Big game unlimited OTC licenses are licenses are available in a range of units and seasons. These licenses are restricted to certain units and manners of take, information for which can be found in the 2015 big game brochure.
Additionally, leftover big game limited licenses and OTC turkey licenses will be on sale in person at Colorado Parks & Wildlife locations and license agents and by phone at 1-800-244-5613 starting at 9 a.m. Aug. 4. They will be available for sale online starting at midnight Aug. 5.
A list of leftover licenses — which have gone through the draw process and still have a quota remaining — will be available online through CPW on July 28.
Those who plan to purchase leftover licenses at license agents or CPW offices should be prepared before they arrive. This will help the process run as efficiently as possible.
Those purchasing a license need the following:
• Driver’s license or state issued identification card
• Proof of hunter education: hunter education card or a Colorado hunting license with verified hunter education
• Social Security Number for anyone 12 or older if not already on file
• Customer Identification Number, if you have previously purchased a license in Colorado
• Proof of residency, if you are planning to purchase a resident license
• A prioritized list of hunt codes for licenses you are interested in
Those planning to purchase a license for someone else need:
• A clear copy of both sides of their driver’s license/state issued identification card
• A clear copy of both sides of their hunter education card or a previous Colorado hunting license with verified hunter education
• Social Security Number
• Customer Identification Number
• Hunt codes
A license can only be purchased for another hunter in person and cannot be done over the phone.
For more information, call CPW at 303-297-1192. To get started with purchasing a license online, visit https://www.co.wildlifelicense.com/start.php. For a list of CPW offices and licensing agents, visit http://cpw.state.co.us/thingstodo/Pages/Leftover.aspx.
Gov. Jared Polis announced Thursday the hiring of Dan Prenzlow as the new director of Colorado Parks and Wildlife, according to a news release from CPW and Colorado Department of Natural Resources.