Moffat County School Board discusses next steps in school closure: Inform students and staff of new schools
February 6, 2018
CRAIG — Steps toward closing East Elementary School include informing students and staff which school they will be attending next year, and that involves decisions about attendance boundaries and teacher redeployment — topics the Moffat County School District Board of Education discussed at its retreat Tuesday.
At the retreat, Superintendent David Ulrich addressed final question from the board about new attendance boundaries. School closure consultants — The Blythe Group — used a demographer to create new attendance boundaries.
"The boundaries met the board's goals, that kids be redistributed evenly to represent the makeup of our community," Ulrich said. "The recommended boundary for Sunset wraps around Sandrock to help achieve those aims."
Parents of East Elementary students will receive an address verification letter and a welcome note from their expected new principal this week.
The board is expected to finalize the approval of new boundaries at its Feb. 22 meeting.
A Redeployment Team has started to implement a process to move the 10 East teachers impacted by the closure to new schools.
Recommended Stories For You
The board learned from Human Resources Director Renee Dove that teachers have been asked for their employment preferences.
Dove will next determine the number and type of positions available, then make offers.
Also included in the board’s retreat were the following.
• Board members learned that $250 incentives will be offered to teachers providing early notification of their intent to leave the district. This will not only help with the redeployment of teachers from East, but will also allow for earlier recruiting, something the district believes will be helpful in finding staff during the teacher shortage.
• Members reviewed factors that might impact the 2018-19 budget to kick off the budget setting process. The board will hold regular budget work sessions until the final budget is approved in June.
• Members learned about progress made on 2018 Balanced Score Card — a year over year set of goals from the Strategic Plan — in preparation of the superintendent's performance review and also to inform upcoming strategic plan meetings.
• Members reviewed a draft of the 2018-19 school calendar, which is expected to be ready for board approval in March.
• Members discussed the names of people in District 6 who might be asked to fill a vacancy on the board.
Discussions of school board districting and new attendance boundaries for the western part of Moffat County — Lay, Maybell and Dinosaur — were postponed until the next regular board work session on Thursday, Feb. 22.
Contact Sasha Nelson at 970-875-1794 or snelson@CraigDailyPress.com.