Moffat County goes to caucus Tuesday, March 6
CRAIG — Ready to caucus?
The Colorado precinct caucus will take place at 7 p.m. Tuesday, March 6, across the state. During the caucus, voters will elect precinct leadership, accept election judge volunteers and elect delegates to represent each precinct at their party’s respective assembly.
The Democratic Assembly will be March 27 at the Veterans of Foreign Wars Hall in Craig, and the GOP Assembly will be March 31 at Sandrock Elementary.
Once delegates are chosen, a list will be compiled and given to candidates, who will likely begin soliciting votes from delegates.
At assembly, a candidate must receive 30 percent of the delegates’ votes to earn a place on the ballot.
At least one candidate, District 3 county commission candidate Frank Moe, intends to petition onto the ballot. This requires the candidate collect signatures of registered party voters in an amount equivalent to 20 percent of the votes cast for that office in the previous election. For Moe, that means 418 validated signatures from registered Republican voters with a current registration.
The following do’s and don’ts can help make the caucus process a smooth one.
• Do: Before the caucus, ensure voter registration is up-to-date online at govotecolorado.com or by calling the Moffat County Clerk’s Office at 970-824-9118.
• Do: Know where precincts will be caucusing. All Democratic precincts caucus at the VFW Hall. Republicans can check their location by contacting their precinct chair or the county clerk’s office.
• Do: Arrive at the precinct location before 7 p.m. Those who are in line to enter the caucus before 7, will be allowed in.
• Do: Bring identification. While it is not required, it will speed up the check-in process.
• Don’t: Those who are unaffiliated or whose address is out of date on their voter registration cannot caucus. The deadline to affiliate was Jan. 8, and the deadline to update registration was Feb. 5 for those who have moved.
• Don’t: Arrive late. Be in line by 7 p.m., or forgo a voice in this year’s caucus. Many caucus locations open for sign-in 30 minutes to an hour early.
All Democratic precincts caucus at the VFW Hall.
Republican caucus locations are as follows.
- First precinct: Ridgeview Elementary
- Second precinct: Craig City Hall
- Third precinct: Sandrock Elementary
- Fourth precinct: Browns Park School
- Fifth precinct: Moffat County High School
- Sixth precinct: Maybell Community Center
- Seventh precinct: Craig Middle School
- Eighth precinct: Moffat County Dinosaur Branch Library
- Ninth precinct: East Elementary
- 10th precinct: Hamilton Community Center
- 11th precinct: Sunset Elementary
- 12th precinct: Moffat County School District Administration Building
- 13th precinct: Sunset Meadows I Cafeteria
4:57 a.m. Near the intersection of Yampa Avenue and East Ninth Street, police in Craig responded to a traffic stop. A citation was issued to a driver, but police said no additional information was available Wednesday.