Moffat County Commissioner recap for May 5
May 5, 2015
Moffat County commissioners did the following Tuesday morning at their weekly meeting:
During general discussion:
• Commissioner Chuck Grobe announced that a junior from Moffat County High School, Weston Brady, who wanted build a bench outside of Hamilton's community hall for cyclists to use as a rest area will be installing the bench Wednesday afternoon.
• The commissioners and Mayor Ray Beck clarified that the May 11 meeting between Moffat County Commissioners and Craig City Council regarding the Nation Association of Counties' Innovation Challenge will largely be a discussion between the two entities. Although the meeting is open to the public, the time for public discussion will be at future meetings.
"This is all going to be community driven, we're just starting with the city council and board of county commissioners," Commissioner Frank Moe explained.
• Mayor Ray Beck asked the commissioners to consider Councilor John Ponikvar as the city's acting liaison to the Yampa Valley Airport Commission.
Recommended Stories For You
"I think it would be a good choice," Grobe said.
Ponikvar has a background in aviation and served on the airport commission in the past.
• Chairman John Kinkaid questioned Sheriff KC Hume regarding a concern he had about heroin use in Moffat County.
"Instead of ignoring it, we need to know it's here," he said.
Sherriff Hume said the drug task force has recently encountered more heroin in the area than it has in the past.
"The folks that were using prescription opiates are no longer able to get those and so the heroin, in essence, fills that void," Hume explained.
• Appointed Kristen Olson to the open board seat for the Moffat County Tourism Association.
• Approved a resolution amending on-call provisions for county operations fire bank time.