Moffat County Commissioner Aug. 12 meeting recap
At their regular Tuesday meeting, Moffat County commissioners touched on the following topics and actions:
During general discussion, the commissioners talked about:
• Buying local: Commissioner Chuck Grobe suggested that the commissioners buy from local vendors whenever possible, especially when it pertains to office supplies and needs within the county. “Whatever we can buy local, let’s buy local,” he said. “We just need to change our mindset and be more positive in our outlook in Craig and Moffat County. We get no taxes for ordering things on the Internet.”
• Alkali Fire: Commissioner Tom Mathers talked about those affected by the Alkali Fire and suggested giving hay bailed from the Loudy-Simpon Park for the balloon festival to those who lost their land. “We need to figure out who all was affected in the Alakali Fire,” Mathers said. “We had to get rid of that hay from the balloon fest. We thought it’d be nice to donate to the burn victims.”
• Sage grouse: Grobe highlighted a report released on sage grouse numbers. “We got a report last night that sage grouse is up 30 percent in the area,” Grobe said.
• Swinging Bridge: The commissioners highlighted that Swinging Bridge needs repairs that have nothing to do with the Tx Wright Dickinson incident. “We’re faced with a little dilemma with that bridge,” Mathers said. “He’s going to pay for his part of it, but we’re faced with the dilemma of finishing it. There’s going to be one really good part of the bridge. We need to have an engineer look at it.”
• Museum of Northwest Colorado: The museum asked permission for Trapper Mining Inc. to do more core sampling drilling on Museum of Northwest Colorado-owned land. Specifically, Williams Fork Land Company will be “conducting a coal exploration program” on behalf of Trapper Mine. The company wants to drill eight holes through next fall. Commissioners approved the drilling, 3-0.
• Road and Bridge Department: Linda DeRose presented the commissioners with the Road and Bridge Department’s monthly report. Commissioners approved a motion, 3-0, for the final settlement on asphalt projects with Elam Construction for 2013. Commissioners approved a motion, 3-0, for Old Castle United for 2014 paving.
4:57 a.m. Near the intersection of Yampa Avenue and East Ninth Street, police in Craig responded to a traffic stop. A citation was issued to a driver, but police said no additional information was available Wednesday.