Mary Blakeman: Humane Society here to serve Moffat County |

Mary Blakeman: Humane Society here to serve Moffat County

To the Editor:

The Humane Society of Moffat County serves the needs of the community in many ways. One way is helping arrange reduced-cost spaying, neutering and vaccinating companion animals for low-income families. This assistance, with the generous support of our local veterinarians, helps reduce the number of unwanted puppies and kittens, who may not find good homes. To date, the Humane Society and our local veterinarians have assisted 359 local families.

Unusual and overwhelming circumstances do arise, and families in crisis need immediate help with pet food or emergency medical care, as in the cases of family home displacement, sudden and unexpected unemployment, etc. The Humane Society helps the families continue to care for their pets, when they have nowhere to turn, until they are on their feet again. The Humane Society promotes responsible pet ownership, such as the importance of giving love, quality time, medical care and necessary vaccinations to keep pets healthy.

Last year, 767 animals were impounded at the Craig Animal Shelter. Only 37 percent were claimed by their owners, leaving 63 percent in need of new homes. The efforts of the Humane Society saved 164 puppies, kittens, dogs and cats who were not adopted at the Craig Shelter. The Humane Society secured alternate placement until the pets found their forever homes. Their lives were saved directly by the efforts of the Humane Society and its volunteers.

United Way donors can specify their gift be designated to continue the work of the Humane Society of Moffat County. We encourage everyone to give generously to the United Way and to remember the needs of the community our Humane Society serves.

Mary Blakeman

Humane Society of Moffat County

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Craig and Moffat County make the Craig Press’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.

For tax deductible donations, click here.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User