Mary Blakeman: Give to Humane Society |

Mary Blakeman: Give to Humane Society

To the editor:

The success of the Humane Society of Moffat County depends on the generous donations from our community, especially the donations designated to the Humane Society through the United Way.

Last year, 829 animals were impounded at the Craig Shelter. Only 38 percent were claimed by their owners, leaving 62 percent in need of new homes. The efforts of the Humane Society saved 172 puppies, kittens, cats and dogs that were not adopted at the Craig Shelter. The Humane Society secured alternate placement until the pets found their “forever” homes. Their lives were saved directly by the efforts of the Humane Society and its volunteers.

Unusual and overwhelming circumstances do arise, and families in crisis frequently need immediate help with pet food or emergency medical care, as in the cases of family home displacement, sudden and unexpected unemployment, etc. The Humane Society helps these families continue to care for their pets when they have nowhere else to turn, until they are on their feet again. The Humane Society promotes responsible pet ownership, such as the importance of giving love, spending quality time, providing medical care, spaying or neutering and vaccinating companion animals to keep them healthy.

The Humane Society of Moffat County also serves the needs of the community by helping to arrange reduced cost spaying, neutering, and vaccinating companion animals for low-income families. This assistance, with the generous support of our local veterinarians, helps reduce the number of unwanted puppies and kittens who may not find good homes. To date, the Humane Society and our local veterinarians have assisted more than 400 local families with reduced cost spaying, neutering and vaccinating for their pets.

United Way donors can specify their gift be designated to the Humane Society of Moffat County to continue its life-saving work in our community. We encourage everyone to give generously to the United Way and to remember the needs of our community the Humane Society serves.

Recommended Stories For You

Mary Blakeman