Hunter dies in suspected carbon monoxide incident
Other weekend accidents send more to hospital
Craig — Three hunters visiting Moffat County from Southern California were exposed to carbon monoxide Sunday, which resulted in one man dying. The other two men are in good and stable condition.
Lonnie Anderegg, 78, was pronounced dead on the scene, while his son Lonnie Anderegg Jr., 53, and Jack Humphrey, 53, were immediately transferred to The Memorial Hospital in Craig, according to Moffat County Sheriff’s Office Lt. KC Hume.
The two surviving men are now at a Denver-area hospital being treated for carbon monoxide poisoning.
Officials responded to a call at noon Sunday on Moffat County Road 17 where the three hunters were found in their tent along with two heat sources, including a propane heater.
“You can’t put a fuel-powered heater in an enclosed space that you’re in,” Hume said.
The three men had been camping 1 mile north of the intersection of C.R. 51 and C.R. 17, not far from Colowyo Coal Co., since last Tuesday.
“They had been here just short of a week,” Hume said.
The Sheriff’s Office is trying to determine which of the two heat sources caused the carbon monoxide exposure.
A Bureau of Land Management law enforcement ranger, Craig Fire/Rescue, Moffat County Sheriff’s Office, Colowyo EMS, TMH EMS and the Moffat County coroner’s office were present on the scene.
Carbon monoxide poisoning happens when a person is exposed to combustible heat, such as propane heaters.
“Red blood cells pick up CO (carbon monoxide) quicker than they pick up oxygen. If there is a lot of CO in the air, the body may replace oxygen in the blood with CO. This blocks oxygen from getting into the body, which can damage tissues and result in death,” according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
TMH typically transfers carbon monoxide cases to hospitals that have hyperbaric oxygen chambers. The hospital in Craig does not have that equipment, said Jennifer Riley, TMH chief of marketing and business development.
Other weekend accidents
On Saturday, a two-car crash happened at about 9 a.m. in Craig, sending one woman to the hospital. Her condition is unknown.
“She was in pain, and we left her in the hospital,” Willems said. “We cut the door off” of the car.
The incident happened at the intersection of Ledford Street and Victory Way.
And a one-vehicle crash happened Sunday morning, when a car slid off the bypass at C.R. 7.
“Icy conditions is what led to that. They slid off the road,” Willems said, noting that the car did not flip over.
One of the passengers went to TMH, while the other opted against going to the hospital.
After four days of competition at Whittle the Wood Rendezvous, Lincoln, Nebraska’s Nate Hall can count himself a seasoned competitor in one of Northwest Colorado’s premier events as he embarks on an ongoing career in the field of wood sculpture.