How it works: Moffat County Department of Human Services Part 1 – Adult Services |

How it works: Moffat County Department of Human Services Part 1 – Adult Services

The Moffat County Department of Human Services Child Welfare Team was recently honored with a state award. Director Dollie Rose, left, and Moffat County Commissioners, from right, Ray Beck, Don Cook and Frank Moe are pictured with a framed poster given to them by the state to make the occasion.
Sasha Nelson
Where to find itThe Moffat County Department of Human Services provides the following assistance payments.
  • Colorado Works
  • Child care
  • Health First Colorado
  • Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Payments (SNAP)
  • Old age pension
  • Long-term care
  • Aid to needy disabled
  • Aid to blind treatment
  • Low-income Energy Assistance Program
  • Burial assistance
For a complete list of services for children read part two of this series.For program eligibility and to apply for benefits online, visit 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday, excluding county observed holidays. Who: Any individual in need of assistance. Where: 595 Breeze St. Call: 970-824-8282To report suspected child or adult abuse/neglect call 1-844-CO-4-Kids or 1-844-264-5437.

Editor’s note: How do you dip a sheep? Collar a deer? Get a patent? Drive a haul truck? Pay the new sales tax? Our intrepid reporters will find out how things get done in Moffat County, then share — in words, photos and videos — what they learn in this new monthly feature exploring how things work. The first installment in this feature is in two parts. Look for part 2 in the Wednesday edition of the Craig Press.

Director Dollie Rose explains how the Moffat County Department of Human Services works with an overview of the department and services available for adults.

Craig Press: What is MCDHS, and what does it do?

Dollie Rose: The Moffat County Department of Human Services connects families, children and adults to assistance, resources and support for living independently in Moffat County. The Department is also dedicated to working with our partners in the community to provide the best outcomes for the families, children and adults that we serve.

CP: Who does it serve, when and how?

Rose: The Department serves anyone in Moffat County in accordance with the Federal Civil Rights Law and U.S. Department of Agriculture Civil Rights.

How someone is involved with the department varies. Individuals can apply for assistance, or the court could order services. The vast differences of involvement are reflective of the extensive list of services (A list of these services accompanies this article online).

CP: Is MCDHS a county or state entity?

Rose: Colorado has a state-supervised and county-administered human services system. County departments of human services are the main provider of direct services to the families, children and adults of each individual county.

CP: What laws govern MCDHS operation?

Rose: The law that governs the department is a combination of various federal and state laws. Some examples of the variety of laws the department works with on a daily basis are The Colorado Code of Regulations, Volume 7 and 8; The Colorado Children’s Code; and The Social Security Act.

CP: How many staff are employed?

Rose: We have 28.5 FTE (full-time equivalent employees) budgeted for 2018.

CP: Where does funding come from?

Rose: The Human Services Fund accounts for human services provided to the citizens of Moffat County, which is primarily funded by state and federal dollars.

CP: Who should contact MCDHS for help, when and how?

Rose: Any individual in need of the following programs should contact MCDHS: assistance programs, including food, cash, medical benefits, child care or child support; in addition to protection and prevention services provided via child, youth and adult protection, along with community-focused programming, that includes in-home services designed to strengthen families and prevent abuse or neglect.

Any individual can contact the department 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday at 970-824-8282, or stop by the office at 595 Breeze St. in Craig

To report suspected child or adult abuse or neglect, call 844-CO-4-Kids or 844-264-5437.

CP: What is self-sufficiency?

Rose: Self-sufficiency is different for every individual based on his or her needs, resources and challenges.

CP: How do you determine when adults qualify for services?

Rose: Each program has different eligibility requirements, as set forth by the state and federal regulations.

CP: Once qualified for services how do you help people regain self- sufficiency?

Rose: This depends on the individual circumstances and the program. Sometimes, an individual just needs short-term assistance with a specific challenge; other times, an individual is working with our caseworkers on various areas of their life. The department also works closely with other community partners to assist individuals in getting the support they need beyond what the department can provide and ensuring that they have continued supports once the department is no longer involved.

CP: Each year how many people would you say become self-sufficient?

Rose: This is not something tracked by the state database, so we are unable to provide this data.

CP: How many people seek services each year?

Rose: In 2017, we had a total average monthly caseload of 2,778 cases for all eligibility programs, except childcare, for adults and children.

CP: Do you have people who are unable to become self-sufficient?

Rose: Yes. We have people with disabilities and other challenges that delay or hinder self-sufficiency.

CP: What is the biggest misperception of assistance DHS provides to adults?

Rose: The biggest misperception is that the majority of households receiving benefits are long-term recipients, when, in reality, most are short-term recipients.

CP: Anything else you want readers to know about adult services?

Rose: MCDHS actively investigates and prosecutes fraudulent receipt of benefits in collaboration with the Moffat County District Attorney’s office. If fraud is suspected at the county level, such as delivery or misuse of funds for SNAP (Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Payments) or TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families) please contact the department at 970-824-8282 to make a report. For all other fraud concerns, please contact the Colorado Department of Human Services Fraud Hotline at 877-934-6361.

Have you wondered how something works? Are you willing to show a reporter how you get something done? Email your ideas to

Contact Sasha Nelson at 970-875-1794 or


See more