Government update for May 2
Moffat County Commission
Last met: Tuesday, April 28
• Denied, 2-0, a request from Routt County to reduce the 14th Judicial District Attorney’s personnel budget. See Wednesday’s Daily Press or http://www.craigdailypress.com for the full story.
• Approved, 2-0, awarding a $10,055 bid to Steamboat Springs-based TCD to engineer and build a picnic shelter for the Moffat County Public Safety Center fishing pond. TCD submitted the only complete bid and also had the lowest of three submitted.
Commission members again expressed dismay that the city of Craig would require builders to spend money on engineering a structure that is no more than a roof held up by four posts over a concrete slab.
The project is entirely paid for by a Great Outdoors Colorado grant.
• Denied, 2-0, a personnel requisition to replace a full-time grounds facility technician with the parks and recreation department after an employee resigned.
Commissioner Tom Gray said he wants the county to make good on a promise made to its department leaders that they must first justify why a vacant position is necessary before the county hires a replacement.
His plan is for the county to proactively cut back on staff when it can to avoid potential future layoffs if the county’s revenue dips as drastically as Routt County’s has recently.
This year, Routt County cut 10 percent from every county department’s personnel budget.
• Did not take a formal vote on funding Rural Philanthropy Days, scheduled for this September in Steamboat.
The event is an opportunity for local nonprofits to solicit funding from potential donors – such as nonprofit foundations, residents, businesses and government sources.
Gray said the county has a standing policy that nonprofits seek funding from the Human Resource Council, which the county funds along with the city of Craig.
• Approved, 2-0, a lease agreement with Mountain Air Spray to lease ground at Craig/Moffat County Airport and function as a fixed-base operator, wherein the company will supply fuel to other airplane operators.
Mountain Air Spray agreed to annually pay 0.5 percent of the value of the buildings they own, which equals $1,316 in the first year. The lease is for 20 years, with an option for a 20-year extension if the business and county agree.
– Note: Commissioner Audrey Danner was absent because of her trip to Washington, D.C., along with Craig City Councilor Ray Beck and Jeff Comstock, county natural resources department director.
Next meeting: Tuesday, May 5
• 8:30 to 8:35 a.m. Call to order, Pledge of Allegiance, moment of silence
• 8:35 to 8:45 a.m. Consent agenda
– Contract for large format scanner and plotter
– Landfill Phase 6 expansion engineering services contract
– 2009 landfill engineering and environmental services contract
– Lab materials testing services for gravel pits
• 8:45 to 9 a.m. General discussion. Note the board may discuss any topic relevant to county business, whether or not the topic has been specifically noted on this agenda.
• 9 to 9:15 a.m. Assessor’s Office, Suzanne Brinks
– Present abatement request from Pierre Johnson
• 9:15 to 9:45 a.m. Audrey Danner and Jeff Comstock
– Present Club 20 Washington, D.C., trip review
• 9:45 to 10 a.m. Yampa Valley Partners. Kate Nowak
– Present request for Energy Conference sponsorship
• 10 to 10:15 a.m. Economic Development Partnership, Darcy Trask
– Work and Life Skills Program update
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Craig and Moffat County make the Craig Press’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User