From Pipi’s Pasture: Some of my favorite things
On Wednesday I was watering the backyard lawn next to Pipi’s Pasture, and during one change of the hose, a pleasant moment, I noticed the cows that were lolling around in the shade — if they could chew their cud, they would have been — the robins “talking” as they busily picked away at the nearly-ripe chokecherries, and imagining that the grass and trees saying “thank you, thank you” for the water.
And I thought that watering the lawn is one of my favorite things to do. Then I thought about some of my other favorite things. The following are some examples.
• spending time with my family — husband, sons and wives, grandchildren, brother, sisters and their families
• spending time with people in general
• rain on the roof
• flowers in my flower pot garden, especially my “prairie flowers”
• just-the-right temperature fall days
• greeting my old cows in the corral each morning at feeding time
• watching a bunch of calves play
• the smell of laundry after it has been hung outside to dry
• brightly-colored fall leaves
• watching a mama cow take care of her newborn calf
• watching hummingbirds fight over a feeder
• driving across a freshly-mown hayfield to check cattle that have just been put out on it
• hearing crickets at night
• picking apples off our trees
• the scent of lilacs, sweet peas, and roses
• the big old silver maple tree in the yard of my childhood home
• watching ice skating on television
• cow things — ceramic knickknacks; refrigerator magnets; stuffed cows that moo, sing songs and walk; clips to hold bags shut; and a whole lot more!
• the scent of sagebrush and rabbit brush on a rainy day
• the rocky ditch running through the corral where my siblings and I played as children
• a pumpkin patch
• a warm comforter on a cold night
• the way soil smells in early spring when planting the garden
• cows contentedly chewing their cud as they rest on a green pasture
• reading my favorite writing magazine while enjoying a cup of coffee
• watching kittens play as mama cat keeps watch
• weeding the garden in the early morning
• listening to a robin’s “rain song”
• walking through a bunch of fallen leaves
• the smell of new textbooks and crayons on the first day of school
• writing my columns
Sometimes it’s good to think about things we enjoy. It’s positive; it makes us feel good. What are some of your favorite things?
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Craig and Moffat County make the Craig Press’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
Memorial Regional Health: New upgrades in MRH Radiology aim to better serve the needs of patients, staff
Sponsored content by Memorial Regional Health.