From Pipi’s Pasture: Next year…
August 14, 2015
The 2015 Moffat County Fair ended last weekend. However, even before one year's county fair is over, exhibitors and fair attendees start thinking about the next one. So the "drawing plans" are already being made for Moffat County Fair 2016. That goes double for the people at the Extension Office, the fair board members, and others who are instrumental in planning the fair.
All during the fair activities, exhibitors of all ages make mental notes about changes they want to make for the next year, from preparation of exhibits to working with livestock. And as the fair attendees (non-exhibitors) walk past the exhibits on display, especially in the pavilion, they think about what they might enter in the fair next year.
So, consider these random thoughts that might have come from people of a variety of ages, including 4-H, FFA, open class exhibitors, and non-exhibitors. Do any of them apply to you?
Next year I'm going to…
• plant more carrots so that I can choose three uniform carrots for judging
• plant my tomatoes earlier in the spring so that some of them will be ripe by fair time
Recommended Stories For You
• start working on my record books earlier in July
• can some chokecherry jelly and set aside some special jars for next year's fair
• build a skyscraper from Lego blocks to enter in the craft competition
• start my entomology display boards earlier in July so I won't be working on them at 3 a.m. on 4-H Completion Day
• buy some taller boots to wear while I'm washing my steer on the wash rack
• start feeding my market pig earlier this year
• guard my marigolds from the deer so that make sure that I have five beautiful blossoms for exhibit
• make sure the labels are correctly done on my canned goods entries
• figure out a way to get Molly, my breeding cow, from standing on my foot during judging
• finish quilting my Log Cabin quilt for entry in the open class competition
• make a sweet wine to enter in the Homemade Beverage Contest
• pull the antique tractor out from where it has been "resting," work on it during the winter, and then enter it at the fair
• spend more time practicing for 4-H Shooting Sports competition
• volunteer to help with open class judging at the pavilion
• put more clean socks in my change-of-clothes bag
• take photos during the year with the photography competition in mind
• design my own "rag" for the special "Rag Contest"
• consider not taking 24 sheep to the fair. This comes from my sister, Charlotte (Allum), who once really did take 24 sheep to the Moffat County Fair when she was in 4-H.
• find a way to participate in the Moffat County Fair