Fitness tips: 5 ways to get kids more active
January 15, 2019
Physical activity is important for children and adults of all ages. Children need 60 minutes of exercise per day. Follow these tips to add more activity to your family's busy schedule.
• Set specific activity times: Determine time slots throughout the week when the whole family is available. Devote a few of these times to physical activity. Try doing something active after dinner, or begin the weekend with a Saturday morning walk.
• Include work around the house: Involve kids in work and other active chores around the house. Have them help you with shoveling the walks or vacuuming the floors.
• Include other families: Invite others to join your family activities. This is a great way for you and your kids to spend time with friends while being physically active. Plan parties with active games, such as bowling or an obstacle course.
• Turn off the TV: Set a rule that no one can spend longer than two hours per day playing video games, watching TV, and using the computer (except for school work). Instead of a TV show, play an active family game, dance to favorite music, or go for a walk.
• Use what’s available: Plan activities that require little or no equipment or facilities. Examples include walking, jogging, jumping rope, playing tag, and dancing.
Recommended Stories For You