Fitness Tip: Get those steps in for better health
Do the low number of steps on your app or fitness watch make you sad? Aim to walk more when you can — park farther away, take the stairs, or try to get in a brisk walk during your morning and afternoon breaks. Following are some tips for increasing physical activity from choosemyplate.gov.
Stay active at home
• Join a walking group in the neighborhood or at the local shopping mall. Recruit a partner for support and encouragement.
• Get the whole family involved — enjoy an afternoon bike ride with your kids.
• Walk up and down the soccer or softball field sidelines while watching the kids play.
• Walk the dog — don’t just watch the dog walk.
• Clean the house, or wash the car.
• Do stretches, exercises, or pedal a stationary bike while watching television.
• Mow the lawn with a push mower.
Stay active at work
• Replace a coffee break with a brisk 10-minute walk. Ask a friend to go with you.
• Take part in an exercise program at work or at a nearby gym.
• Join or create an office sports team or walking group.
When it opens later this year, the Memorial Regional Health medical office building will recognize supporters with a hand-forged iron tree of life.