Firefighters respond to fire at Barnes residence | CraigDailyPress.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Firefighters respond to fire at Barnes residence

Barnes: When it comes to having a crisis this is one of the best communities

Joe Moylan
Craig Fire/Rescue firefighters responded Monday to the home of Rick and Tami Barnes for a fire. The house was a total loss, but Rick said he felt fortunate he and his family escaped unharmed.
Joe Moylan

Quotable...

“When it comes to somebody having a crisis this is probably one of the best communities to live in. I know I’m forgetting a lot of people, and I’m sorry if I am, but all of your help has been very much appreciated.”

Rick Barnes about the outpouring of support he has received from the community since his home was lost Monday to a fire.

Quotable…

“When it comes to somebody having a crisis this is probably one of the best communities to live in. I know I’m forgetting a lot of people, and I’m sorry if I am, but all of your help has been very much appreciated.”

Rick Barnes about the outpouring of support he has received from the community since his home was lost Monday to a fire.

Craig Fire/Rescue firefighters on Monday responded to a report of a house fire on Moffat County Road 174 about 10 miles west of Craig.



The home belongs to longtime Moffat County residents Rick and Tami Barnes.

Craig Fire/Rescue Chief Bill Johnston said the blaze, which started at approximately 10 p.m., was ignited by a faulty wood-burning stove.



Firefighters battled blizzard conditions, Johnston said, but had the fire under control after about an hour and a half.

Deputies with the Moffat County Sheriff’s Office and an ambulance crew from The Memorial Hospital in Craig also responded to the call.

Though the house is a total loss, Rick said Thursday he felt blessed because he, his wife and children all escaped the fire unharmed.

“We all made it out safe,” Rick said. “Everything that was irreplaceable was saved, everything else is material and can be replaced.”

As is usually the case in times of crisis Rick said the community has stepped up with donations of clothes, food, housing and Christmas presents for the kids.

Namely Rick wanted Craig Fire/Rescue firefighters, the United Way, the Red Cross, the Moffat County School District, and the Kline, Hamill, Herring, Lyons, Brannan, Running, and Sperry families for their support.

“When it comes to somebody having a crisis this is probably one of the best communities to live in,” Rick said. “I know I’m forgetting a lot of people, and I’m sorry if I am, but all of your help has been very much appreciated.”

The Barnes’ home is insured by Farmers Insurance, Rick said. The large claims adjustor has already located a modular home that could be transported and move-in ready within a couple of months.

Joe Moylan can be reached at 875-1794 or jmoylan@craigdailypress.com.


Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Craig and Moffat County make the Craig Press’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.