Fire takes Craig resident’s home
Craig — A Craig resident lost his house Saturday to a fire that started in his kitchen and burned through the rest of his house.
Douglas Goodnow, who lived north of Craig at 1310 N. Ranney St., was home at the time of the fire but got out safely before Craig Fire/Rescue arrived on scene. According to Fire Chief Roy Mason, the manufactured home was gutted by the fire. The fire was reported at 8:30 p.m. Saturday.
Mason was pleased with the way his crew responded to the fire.
“They did well for what we had when we got there,” said Mason. “By the time we arrived the manufactured home was fully engulfed, flames were coming off the roof that were 20 to 30 feet high. There was also a propane tank on the front porch that was venting. That can be distracting when you add a propane tank to the situation.”
According to Mason, the fire started when Goodnow left his dinner that was cooking unattended to go to the rest room. When he returned the kitchen was full of flames and smoke and Goodnow left the home. An official from the local chapter of the American Red Cross reported that Goodnow is staying with relatives who live in the area.
Moffat County CSU Extension Office is hosting the free “One Seed, One Community” program, which seeks to unite community by encouraging gardeners of all skill levels to plant, grow, cook, and share a featured vegetable every year.