Fire destroys Craig couple’s home | CraigDailyPress.com

Fire destroys Craig couple’s home

Noelle Leavitt Riley

This home, located at 1446 E. 11th St. in Craig and belonging to Greg and Charity Neal, caught fire Friday afternoon. Craig Fire/Rescue quickly worked to extinguish the flames.

A fire completely destroyed a home in Craig Friday afternoon.

The house located at 1446 E. 11th St. in Craig belonged to Greg and Charity Neal.

"The house was completely engulfed in flames when we arrived," said Craig/Fire Rescue Chief KC Hume.

No one was injured, and Greg Neal said that Hume was able to save the couple’s dog.

"I'm overjoyed that they were able to be reunited with a cherished member of their family," Hume said of the dog.

Greg Neal said also that two blue-bellied lizards and a goldfish perished in the fire.

Recommended Stories For You

When Craig Fire/Rescue arrived on scene, one end of the home was engulfed in flames. The fire quickly spread throughout the house, and eventually the roof caught fire.

"The fire started on the exterior of the home on the south side," Hume said, noting that hot and/or smoldering materials in close proximity to combustibles is what started the fire.

Firefighters broke windows so they could spray water inside the house and on the ceiling.

It took fire officials roughly 40 minutes to extinguish the flames, leaving behind a charred home steaming with smoke. Craig Fire/Rescue cleared the scene at around 4:30 p.m., Hume said.

Neighbors and friends stood by as officials battled the fire.

“A friend of ours messaged us and said, ‘What's the fire up by you guys?’ We came out here and, well, noticed this,” said John Simonet who lives next to the Neals. “(The firefighters) are very good at what they’re doing.”

The newspaper will update readers as more information becomes available.