El Niño is officially over. What does that mean for winter 2019-20 in Colorado?
Adios, El Niño.
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration announced last week that a weaker version of the large-scale weather phenomenon has ended. Weak El Niño conditions had been present since fall 2018, allowing for one of the heaviest snow seasons in Colorado in years, including record-breaking March snow totals at the ski resorts.
In making the announcement, NOAA noted that sea surface temperatures in the central and eastern Pacific Ocean had dipped to normal. That means El Niño — which occurs when those surface temperatures are higher than average — is officially over and that the El Niño Southern Oscillation is now in a “neutral” state. NOAA predicts a 50% to 55% chance of current conditions persisting through winter.
What does that mean for Colorado? Your guess might be as good as the experts’. When conditions return to neutral, it means there are no strong forces guiding climate in either direction — the warmer El Niño or cooler La Niña.
The neutral condition is thus colloquially known as “La Nada.” During this unpredictable neutral period, it is very tough to properly forecast regional snowfall in the long term. Other atmospheric and climate conditions will have more of an impact on snow totals.
Complicating the long-term forecast is Colorado’s location in the center-west of the country, near where the Pacific jet stream flows. Colorado is often stuck straddling the line between cooler and warmer air.
Regardless of how hard it is to predict snow totals this winter, there are guesses based on history and current patterns.
As of Thursday, Aug. 15, the National Weather Service’s Climate Prediction Center is predicting a 30% to 40% chance of higher than average temperatures for the central mountains from November through January. The climate prediction center also forecasts a 30% to 40% chance of higher than average precipitation.
That presents a bit of good news and bad news for Colorado. The higher precipitation is certainly welcome, but higher temperatures lessen the likelihood of epic snowstorms and regular dump days. There is also the scenario where both precipitation and temperatures are average for the season, which would point to average snowfall, as well.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Craig and Moffat County make the Craig Press’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
Moffat County School District taking applications for middle school principal’s position, seeks parent input
Moffat County School District is asking for parent feedback from Craig Middle School students as it searches to find a new principal ahead of the 2021-22 school year.