Discharged fire extinguisher, burnt butter braid sends Craig Fire/Rescue to high school
CRAIG — A fire extinguisher was discharged inside Moffat County High School a little before 12:30 p.m. Wednesday. Students were evacuated into the parking lots.
“We treated it just like a fire drill when the alarm went off,” said Principal Kyle York.
Craig Fire Rescue and Craig Police Department responded to the incident.
Firefighters checked the southeast, ground floor of the building, where the extinguisher had been located, to ensure there wasn’t a fire.
When they didn’t find a fire, firefighters used fans to clear propellant from the air before students were allowed back in the building.
The person responsible for discharging the fire extinguisher has not been identified. The school resource officer and administrators are investigating the incident.
Craig Fire/Rescue also responded to an incident at the high school just after 6 p.m. Tuesday, when a butter braid was overheated in a microwave, causing smoke that triggered the fire alarms, York said.
No one was injured in either incident. The extinguisher and butter braid will have to be replaced.
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Craig and Moffat County make the Craig Press’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User