Diane Prather: Are you ready for the fair?
Prepping for county fairs is a fun time of the year, and there are always items needed for any 4-H and FAA participants.
Here are some of the following activities we do to get ready for competitions:
• purchasing display boards and lettering materials to finish required displays for General 4-H projects
• finishing record books
• putting finishing touches on sewing garments for the 4-H Dress Revue
Participate in The Longevity Project
The Longevity Project is an annual campaign to help educate readers about what it takes to live a long, fulfilling life in our valley. This year Kevin shares his story of hope and celebration of life with his presentation Cracked, Not Broken as we explore the critical and relevant topic of mental health.
• practicing for the FFA Tractor Driving Contest
• running dogs through obedience practices to prepare for the 4-H Dog Show
• framing photos for photography competition
• choosing crafts, needlework, photos and artwork to be entered in open class pavilion competitions
• clipping and grooming beef animals and blocking sheep
• making decisions about costumes for the Cowboy Baby Contest
• working with livestock so the animals will be on their best behavior in the show ring
• practicing for the 4-H and open horse shows
• getting banners and fair and attendant attire ready for a busy fair
• choosing a LEGO masterpiece to enter in craft competition
• practicing for the final Shooting Sports Contest
• pulling out the best jars of home-canned produce, set aside earlier in the year, polishing up the jars and adding required labels
• canning jellies and jams for the fair
• keeping watch over the garden, in hopes that zucchini, tomatoes, green beans, peas and other produce matures in time for the fair
• hoping that flowers won’t get ruined by hail or eaten by bugs and deer so that blossoms can be entered in the flower division at the fair
• searching yard sales and thrift shops for just the right container for making a unique flower arrangement for competition
Perhaps the best part of county fair competition is anticipation of what’s to come!
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Craig and Moffat County make the Craig Press’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
Content provided in partnership with Northwest Colorado Health