Craig Daily Press unveils newspaper changes
July 8, 2017
Big changes are coming to your Craig Daily Press in the next month.
The two most prominent changes will be our move to a free-distribution model and two editions per week.
"We believe every community should have a strong newspaper. We believe our changes will ensure Craig and Moffat County will continue to have a newspaper that serves their interest for years to come," Craig Daily Press editor Renee Campbell said.
Starting Aug. 2, our newspaper will be distributed on Wednesdays and Fridays.
Why those two days?
"These are the days that provide the best reach for advertisers and readers," said Campbell. "Wednesday is a day our readers benefit for our coupons and inserts, and Friday kicks off your weekend."
Recommended Stories For You
A free-distribution model simply means we won't offer paid home delivery, but you can pick up a copy of the paper free at any number of locations around town.
"The number of locations where readers can find the Craig Press both in racks and within business will increase nearly three-fold, and we will continue to add locations as we move forward," Campbell said.
If you still want your paper mailed to you, we will continue to offer that option.
Statistics show that across Colorado, the average paid circulation newspaper reaches less than 35 percent of customers in a market. In other areas (such as Glenwood Springs, Aspen or Steamboat Springs) where the community newspaper is free, surveys show local readership is as high as 90 percent.
For our advertisers, that is good news. It will eliminate the price objection and make sure their message has greater reach.
Other points to consider:
- Advertising rates won't go up;
- Editorial coverage will be more focused and offer stronger stories across the two editions;
- Our website will be more robust with near 24/7 coverage and breaking news at your fingertips.
- You may have already noticed small design changes, as our production was moved from Steamboat Springs to our sister facility in Carson City, Nevada. We feel our readers deserve a more vibrant design, and we think this move to Carson will allow that.
- The change won't affect the Print Shop operations.
Finally, with these changes come one more. Our name will now be the Craig Press.
We look forward to being your community newspaper for a long time and fulfilling your publishing needs.