Crews respond to early morning fire on Moffat County Road 103 |

Crews respond to early morning fire on Moffat County Road 103

Craig Daily Press Staff Report
Crews with Craig Fire/Rescue responded to an early morning fire at the residence of 3294 Moffat County Road 103. The house caught on fire early Saturday morning, a blaze likely caused by a coal-burning stove.
Courtesy Photo

— Authorities from Craig Fire/Rescue and Moffat County Sheriff’s Office responded to a structure fire in Moffat County early Saturday morning.

Fire Chief KC Hume said a page was received at 1:51 a.m. for a blaze at 3294 Moffat County Road 103. Fire crews were able to get the flames under control within 15 to 20 minutes of arriving, but personnel remained on site until about 6:30 a.m.

“Due to the nature of the fire, the attic space required an overhaul to ensure that the home didn’t rekindle and continue to burn,” Hume said.

Hume said a coal-burning stove was associated with the fire. A housesitter — whose name currently is not being released — requested assistance.

Michael and Judy Kuberry are listed by Moffat County records as owners of the home. The couple was out of town at the time of the fire, and was en route back to Craig as of Sunday according to Hume.

Hume said the house is not destroyed entirely but is not habitable at the moment.

“We were able to extinguish the fire, but a good portion of the home was damaged like the exterior wall, the supporting roof structure,” he said. “There’s significant damage, but the home is still there.”

Craig Fire/Rescue completed its investigation and released the home Saturday morning. Hume said it will be the insurance carrier’s prerogative to further investigate what happened.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Craig and Moffat County make the Craig Press’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.