Crews respond to early morning fire on Moffat County Road 103
Craig — Authorities from Craig Fire/Rescue and Moffat County Sheriff’s Office responded to a structure fire in Moffat County early Saturday morning.
Fire Chief KC Hume said a page was received at 1:51 a.m. for a blaze at 3294 Moffat County Road 103. Fire crews were able to get the flames under control within 15 to 20 minutes of arriving, but personnel remained on site until about 6:30 a.m.
“Due to the nature of the fire, the attic space required an overhaul to ensure that the home didn’t rekindle and continue to burn,” Hume said.
Hume said a coal-burning stove was associated with the fire. A housesitter — whose name currently is not being released — requested assistance.
Michael and Judy Kuberry are listed by Moffat County records as owners of the home. The couple was out of town at the time of the fire, and was en route back to Craig as of Sunday according to Hume.
Hume said the house is not destroyed entirely but is not habitable at the moment.
“We were able to extinguish the fire, but a good portion of the home was damaged like the exterior wall, the supporting roof structure,” he said. “There’s significant damage, but the home is still there.”
Craig Fire/Rescue completed its investigation and released the home Saturday morning. Hume said it will be the insurance carrier’s prerogative to further investigate what happened.
9:02 a.m. On the 1000 block of Sage Court, community services personnel in Craig responded to a code enforcement call. A resident was issued a verbal warning for a code violation.