Craig Press takes multiple honors from Colorado Press Association
Craig Press 2018 Colorado Better Newspaper Contest awards
Class IV Awards
• Advertising Sweepstakes
• Photo and Design Sweepstakes
• General Excellence
• KayCee Goncalves, Greeley Graphics — 1st place, Best Restaurant or Dining Ad; JW Snack's
• Cori Kroese, Greeley Graphics — 2nd place, Best Restaurant or Dining Ad; Mudd Shack
• Cori Kroese, Greeley Graphics — 2nd place, Best Real Estate Ad; We Have Something for Everyone
• Renee Campbell, Greeley Graphics — 1st place, Best Advertising Campaign; Craig Concert Association
• Sheli Steele, Greeley Graphics — 2nd place, Best Advertising Campaign; Bulldogs of the Week
• Cori Kroese, Greeley Graphics — 1st place, Best Automotive Ad; Ram Power Days
• Shannon Moore, Greeley Graphics — 2nd place, Best Automotive Ad; Ram End-of-year special
• Sheli Steele, Greeley Graphics — 1st place, Best Large Space Ad; After-prom thank you
• Craig Press Staff, Greeley Graphics — 2nd place, Best Large Space Ad; Good luck at state
• Cori Kroese, Greeley Graphics — 2nd place, Best Health Care Ad; Yampa Valley OB/GYN
• Sheli Steele, Greeley Graphics — 1st place, Best Medium Space Ad; Order your fresh turkey
• Sheli Steele, Greeley Graphics — 2nd place, Best Medium Space Ad; Wrap up your holidays with Brother's
• Jim Patterson — 1st place, Best Humorous Column Writing; The blanket isn't any longer
• Jim Patterson — 2nd place, Best Humorous Column Writing; Peter Rabbit and the art of being offended
• Sasha Nelson, Eleanor Hasenbeck, Jim Patterson — 2nd place, Best Series; Wild horse water woes
• Sasha Nelson — 2nd place, Best Education Story — Coloradans to consider amending state constitution to better fund education
• Craig Press Staff — 2nd place, Best Special Section — Energy Blend
• Andy Bockelman — 1st place, Best Multimedia; Whittle the Wood Rendezvous video series
• Lauren Blair — 2nd place, Best Environmental Story; Changes to Northwest Colorado BLM sage grouse plan could ease restrictions on drilling, ranching
• Sasha Nelson — 1st place, Best Agriculture Story; Maybell rancher goes mobile to deliver eggs, cheese, meat and more to 300 customers a week
• Eleanor Hasenbeck, Jim Patterson — 1st place, Best Investigative Story Package, Craig city manager fired in illegal meeting
• Jim Patterson — 1st place, Best Serious Column Writing; It's a kids-being-murdered problem
• Jim Patterson — 2nd place, Best Editorial Writing; Shooting threat offers opportunity to explore real solutions
• Craig Press Staff — 2nd place, Best Website-Weekly
Photo and Design
• Michael Armstrong — 1st place, Best Cover Design; Firefighter tribute
• Andy Bockelman — 1st place, Best Sports Photo; Powder Puff Power, Moffat County girls pummel their way through Homecoming Powder Puff Football tourney
• Sasha Nelson — 2nd place, Best Sports Photo; Rodeo bull rider, Bull rider shows true grit during 4th Annual Ridin’ & Riggin’ Days at 2018 Moffat County Fair
• Sasha Nelson — 1st place, Best Photography Portfolio
• Sasha Nelson — 1st place, Best Photo Slideshow; Dogs day at 100th Moffat County Fair
• Andy Bockelman — 2nd place, Best Photo Slideshow; 2018 Moffat County High School Prom
• Sasha Nelson — 2nd place, Best News Photograph; Empire mine silo, Empire strikes back: Silo still standing after failed demolition attempt
As part of the 2018 Better Newspaper Contest hosted by Colorado Press Association, Craig Press earned 31 individual awards in advertising, editorial, online, and photo design categories.
The news outlet also won Class IV Advertising Sweepstakes, Photo and Design Sweepstakes and General Excellence.
Awards were announced and distributed Saturday night during CPA’s 141st annual convention at the Hyatt Regency Aurora-Denver Conference Center.
“I couldn’t be prouder of our team. Every day the team works hard to bring news to you our readers and make sure we are telling your stories,” said Publisher Renee Campbell.
Honors ranged from Moffat County High School sports and event coverage to investigative pieces on local government to light features, as well as ads, cover design and online content.
Advertising Manager Sheli Steele added she was thrilled with the outcome, with the ad department sweeping five categories.
“I am proud of the great work we continue to produce at the Craig Press,” she said. “We have a strong team that is committed to overall excellence for our advertisers and our community. What a great place to work.”
Campbell noted that the new honors meant a great deal to the newspaper given recent staffing changes, with Editor Jim Patterson stepping down from his position for health reasons.
Patterson began in the position in September 2017, and the 2018 CPA contest was the first time he had overseen the editorial section for a full contest cycle. Though his name was already attached to six of the awards for the night, including three of the four contest’s column categories, Campbell dedicated the big wins to him.
“Jim, this is for you!” she said.
Moffat County CSU Extension Office is hosting the free “One Seed, One Community” program, which seeks to unite community by encouraging gardeners of all skill levels to plant, grow, cook, and share a featured vegetable every year.