Craig health briefs for June 20, 2015: Pregnancy Center Walk-a-thon fundraiser kicks off June 27
June 19, 2015
Craig — Looking for something fun to do with the family this summer? Yampa Valley Pregnancy Center is having another Summer Walk-a-thon FUNdraiser from June 27 to July 25.
Register to walk from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. June 27 at the Pregnancy Center, 25 W. Victory Way. Registration fee is $20 for individuals; a family of four or more can register the first person for $20, all other family members for $10.
The registration fee includes a t-shirt and pedometer, and is reduced if you use your own pedometer. For more information, call the center at 970-824-5204.
VNA advises precautions with bats, which may carry rabies
Rabies is a potentially deadly virus transmitted through the saliva of an infected animal. Some bats have tested positive for rabies in Northwest Colorado. Follow these precautions to avoid exposure to potentially infected bats or other wild animals:
· Never touch a wild bat or any other wild animal.
· Teach children who find a bat to leave it alone and tell an adult.
Recommended Stories For You
· Keep your doors and windows covered with intact screens. Do not leave screenless doors or windows open in the evening.
· If you have bats in your house, call a professional trapper with experience removing bats from homes.
· Keep your pets up to date on rabies vaccines. Call your veterinarian if you are unsure of your pet's vaccination status.
· If you are exposed to a bat, if possible, safely collect the animal using a shovel (do not use your hands, even if you are wearing gloves) and contact the Northwest Colorado Visiting Nurse Association at 970-824-8233.
· If you are bitten by a bat or awake to find a bat in the room where you are sleeping, contact your medical provider and the VNA (the public health agency for Routt County).
For more information about rabies, go to http://www.cdc.gov/rabies.
Pregnancy Center Begins Printer Cartridge Recycling Program
Yampa Valley Pregnancy Center would like to help you help the environment and raise funds for the center by recycling your used inkjet and laser cartridges.
Individuals may drop off their cartridges at the Pregnancy Center at 25 W. Victory Way from 3 to 6 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays and from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturdays. Pick-up boxes will also be available at the Community Budget Center 555 Yampa Avenue and Cornerstone Realty 508 Yampa Avenue during their normal business hours.
The center can also arrange mutually convenient times to pick up used cartridges for businesses, churches and other organizations. If interested, please call Yampa Valley Pregnancy Center, 970-5204.
Movement and Exercise class offered in Hayden
The Northwest Colorado Visiting Nurse Association hosts a Movement and Exercise class from 11 a.m. to noon Thursdays at The Haven Community Center. The gentle exercise class for older adults helps improve muscle strength, flexibility, balance, endurance and the risk of falls.
There is a $3 suggested donation per class. Everyone is welcome. For more information, call 970-871-7676.
VNA offers immunization clinics
The Northwest Colorado Visiting Nurse Association provides low-cost immunizations to adults and children.
These include vaccines for flu, measles, mumps and rubella (MMR), chicken pox, shingles, pneumonia, HPV, meningitis, tetanus, diphtheria & whooping cough (Tdap) and hepatitis A and B.
Immunizations are available by appointment or during drop in clinic hours, 2:30 to 4:30 p.m. Thursdays at the Craig VNA, 745 Russell Street.
For more information, call 970-824-8233.