Craig health briefs for July 4: VNA offers grief support group
The Northwest Colorado Visiting Nurse Association’s Hospice program hosts a grief education and support group at 5 p.m. the first and third Thursday of every month at the Craig VNA, 745 Russell St.
Occasionally, meetings will take place at other locations. Anyone interested in attending should call Sandy Beran at 970-871-7682.
Grief support group to host potluck
The Northwest Colorado Visiting Nurse Association’s grief support group will host a potluck picnic 5 p.m. July 16 at a private residence.
Everyone is welcome. For directions or more information about ongoing support group meetings, call Sandy Beran at 970-871-7682.
Movement and Exercise class offered in Hayden
The Northwest Colorado Visiting Nurse Association hosts a Movement and Exercise class from 11 a.m. to noon Thursdays at The Haven Community Center. The gentle exercise class for older adults helps improve muscle strength, flexibility, balance, endurance and the risk of falls.
There is a $3 suggested donation per class. Everyone is welcome. For more information, call 970-871-7676.
Pregnancy Center Walk-a-thon fundraiser kicks off June 27
Looking for something fun to do with the family this summer? Yampa Valley Pregnancy Center is having another Summer Walk-a-thon FUNdraiser from June 27 to July 25.
Register to walk from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. June 27 at the Pregnancy Center, 25 W. Victory Way. Registration fee is $20 for individuals; a family of four or more can register the first person for $20, all other family members for $10.
The registration fee includes a t-shirt and pedometer, and is reduced if you use your own pedometer. For more information, call the center at 970-824-5204.
VNA advises precautions with bats, which may carry rabies
Rabies is a potentially deadly virus transmitted through the saliva of an infected animal. Some bats have tested positive for rabies in Northwest Colorado. Follow these precautions to avoid exposure to potentially infected bats or other wild animals:
· Never touch a wild bat or any other wild animal.
· Teach children who find a bat to leave it alone and tell an adult.
· Keep your doors and windows covered with intact screens. Do not leave screenless doors or windows open in the evening.
· If you have bats in your house, call a professional trapper with experience removing bats from homes.
· Keep your pets up to date on rabies vaccines. Call your veterinarian if you are unsure of your pet’s vaccination status.
· If you are exposed to a bat, if possible, safely collect the animal using a shovel (do not use your hands, even if you are wearing gloves) and contact the Northwest Colorado Visiting Nurse Association at 970-824-8233.
· If you are bitten by a bat or awake to find a bat in the room where you are sleeping, contact your medical provider and the VNA (the public health agency for Routt County).
For more information about rabies, go to http://www.cdc.gov/rabies.
VNA offers immunization clinics
The Northwest Colorado Visiting Nurse Association provides low-cost immunizations to adults and children.
These include vaccines for flu, measles, mumps and rubella (MMR), chicken pox, shingles, pneumonia, HPV, meningitis, tetanus, diphtheria & whooping cough (Tdap) and hepatitis A and B.
Immunizations are available by appointment or during drop in clinic hours, 2:30 to 4:30 p.m. Thursdays at the Craig VNA, 745 Russell Street.
For more information, call 970-824-8233.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Craig and Moffat County make the Craig Press’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User