Craig City Council recap for April 28
Craig City Council and Mayor Ray Beck heard the following during their bi-weekly meeting on Tuesday evening:
• Janele Husband and Roberta Hawks, retired educators, gave a presentation about local artists and their growing contributions to the Craig’s culture and economy. After engaging with other communities, Husband and Hawks were inspired to bring what they learned to Craig.
“The creativity in any community is an indicator of the strength of a community,” said Husband
According to Husband, Keith Kramer, executive director of Yampa Valley Data Partners provided some interesting statistics regarding the art economic sector in Moffat County.
At the end of the third quarter in 2014, there were approximately 90 art-related jobs in Moffat County with an average weekly wage of $663.
“We are a growing economic sector in Moffat County,” said Husband. “We are involved citizens and contributing members of this community that we love.”
• Robert Schneck, a resident of Craig, updated the council on the Yampa River recreation expansion project. Last February, the council unanimously voted to support the efforts of the Moffat County Tourism Association and Schneck to improve river access and the floating experience between Yampa Valley Golf Course and Loudy-Simpson Park. Schneck said thanks to a conceptual site plan he posted on Facebook, he received $250 in donations over the course of four days. Council members commended his efforts to improve the community and encouraged him to continue raising funds for the project.
• Randy Call, director of the Craig Road & Bridge Department, presented bids for a new portable air compressor. The city budgeted $16,000 for the purchase of a new compressor and received five bids. Call recommended the low bid from Wagner Equipment for $14,950, adding that it had a better warranty than expected. The council approved the purchase.
Council also heard from and took action on the following:
• Awarded the city’s 2015 asphalt work to Elam Construction at a price of $225,159.57
• Approved the purchase of a 2015 four-wheel drive pickup truck from Victory Motors for $19,448
• Approved an ordinance adopting chapter 2.30 of the Craig Municipal Code entitled “Planning and Zoning Commission.” This addition to the Craig Municipal Code addresses the continued operation of the Planning and Zoning Commission and establishes its structure and operation in the future.
• Reviewed councilmember board appointments and appointed Councilman Kent Nielson as assistant mayor
• Reviewed the March 2015 report from Craig Waste Water Department
• Reviewed the city’s financial report for March 2015
• Took audience comments
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Craig and Moffat County make the Craig Press’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.