Craig briefs for Aug. 1
$9,600 lost at McDonald's
An elderly man lost a brown leather pouch containing $9,600 at approximately 10 a.m. Tuesday at the Craig McDonald’s restaurant, according to press release from the Craig Police Department.
If the money has been found, the Police Department is asking for the person who found it to turn it into the Craig Police Department at the Public Safety Center, 800 W. First St., so the money can be returned to the owner. Call 826-2360 for more information.
Phone forum takes place Aug. 15
The IRS invites tax professionals and small-business owners and representatives to participate in a free phone forum about Payroll and Foreign Workers on Aug. 15. Learn about:
• Immigration and tax laws
• Common types of visas
• The difference between resident and nonresident aliens
• Withholding rules for income and social security taxes, Form W-4 rules and applicable international agreements
Pre-register via AT&T Teleconference Services for one of three sessions by Monday, Aug. 13. Please go to IRS.gov for complete information or e-mail with questions.
Recall on chili and pet foods
Castleberry’s Food Company in Augusta, Ga., has expanded its July 18 voluntary recall of various canned food and pet food products because of possible botulism contamination.
Because of concerns that the recalled products may still be on Colorado retail grocery shelves, state health officials and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration warned consumers not to eat or serve certain canned food and pet food products produced by Castleberry’s, and to toss the products immediately.
The entire recall list is available online at http://www.fda.gov/oc/opacom/hottopics/castleberry.html.
Daniel M. Rifkin, Wholesale Food Program manager with the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment’s Consumer Protection Division, said symptoms of botulism poisoning can begin from six hours to two weeks after eating food that contains the toxin.
Symptoms may include double vision, blurred vision, drooping eyelids, slurred speech, difficulty swallowing, dry mouth and muscle weakness that moves progressively down the body, affecting the shoulders first then descending to the upper arms, lower arms, thighs, calves, etc.
He said, “Botulism poisoning can cause paralysis of the breathing muscles, which can result in death unless assistance with breathing, such as mechanical ventilation, is provided. Individuals who show any symptoms after having eaten any recalled Castleberry’s products should seek immediate medical attention.”
When disposing of the canned products, Rifkin advised consumers to double bag cans in plastic bags that are tightly closed and place them in a trash receptacle for nonrecyclable trash outside of the home.
Additional instructions for safe disposal can be found at http://www.cdc.gov/botulism/botulism_faq.htm.
To date, there are no reports of illness in Colorado associated with the recalled products.
However, two children in Texas and an Indiana couple became seriously ill after eating these products and were hospitalized.
Castleberry’s advised consumers with any questions or concerns about this recall to contact their consumer hotline at 1-888-203-8446.
For more information, the public may call Dan Rifkin with the Consumer Protection Division at the Department of Public Health and Environment at 303-692-3620.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Craig and Moffat County make the Craig Press’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User