Craig briefs: Craig Press to host Coffee & a Newspaper
Craig Press invites the community to October’s Coffee & a Newspaper, which will feature a presentation from Dave Ulrich, superintendent of Moffat County School District. Ulrich will discuss the possibility of closing a local elementary school and the related processes.
The event, hosted by Craig Press Publisher Renee Campbell and Editor Jim Patterson, will be held at 7 a.m. Wednesday, Oct. 4 at The Memorial Hostital, Conference Rooms A and B.
Coffee and pastries will be served.
Public meetings set to discuss campus closure
Moffat County School District is in the process of evaluating the closure of one of its elementary schools. Public meetings have been scheduled for Wednesday, Sept. 20 to share information regarding this process
The meeting schedule is as follows.
- 4:30 p.m. — Moffat County High School, 900 Finley Lane.
- 5:45 p.m. — Sunset Elementary School, 800 W. Seventh St.
- 7 p.m. — Ridgeview Elementary School, 600 Westridge Road.
Moffat County Library changes hours for October
Moffat County Library is adjusting its hours of operation for October. October library hours are as follows.
- Monday — 10:30 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Tuesday — 10:30 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Wednesday — 12:30 to 5:30 p.m.
- Thursday — 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Friday — 12:30 to 5:30.
- Saturday — 11 a.m. to 5:30.
- Sunday — closed.
For more information, call 970-824-5116.
Hepatitis A on the rise in Colorado
There has been an increase in hepatitis A cases in Colorado, and the state is recommending some adults at higher risk for the illness be vaccinated. Hepatitis A is a liver infection.
Typically, a person contracts the virus by ingesting contaminated food or drinks. It can also be spread through sexual contact. The vaccine is routinely recommended for children, but most adults have not been vaccinated. Two doses of the vaccine, administered six months apart, are recommended for the following groups.
- All children at age one.
- Men who have sexual contact with men or people who live with or have sexual contact with someone who has hepatitis A.
- People who use injection and non-injection illegal drugs.
- People with chronic liver diseases, such as cirrhosis, hepatitis B or hepatitis C.
- People who are homeless.
- People who are traveling to areas with higher rates of hepatitis A, including Mexico, the Caribbean and Central America.
- Family members or caregivers of a recent adoptee from countries where the virus is common.
- People who are treated with blood clotting-factor concentrates.
For more information about hepatitis A, visit cdc.gov/hepatitis. For questions about the vaccine or to make an appointment for immunization, call Northwest Colorado Health at 970-824-8233.
Craig Press seeks members for Editorial Board
The Craig Press is seeking interested community members to serve on the newspaper’s Editorial Board. The Editorial Board — composed of three permanent staff members and two community members — meets weekly to craft the newspaper’s editorial positions for editorials to be published in the Friday print edition each week.
The board will meet at 10 a.m. Wednesdays at the Craig Press Offices, 466 Yampa Ave., and meetings will be limited to one hour.
Newspaper staff members include Renee Campbell, publisher; Jim Patterson, editor; and Andy Bockelman, assistant editor.
Community representatives will be asked to serve a three-month term, beginning Wednesday, Oct. 4 and continuing through Wednesday, Dec. 20.
Interested residents are invited to send a letter of interest to Patterson at email@example.com.