Chuck Mack: Exploring sand dunes |

Chuck Mack: Exploring sand dunes

— Editor’s note: Chuck and Alberta Mack moved from their Colorado home to their Oklahoma home in October. Chuck chronicled their trip for the Daily Press.

Well, now it is pretty near 7 p.m. Oct. 18. We spent the day in the sand dunes except for a lunch break.

When we weren’t riding our machine, we were watching other people play. There were machines of all kinds and sizes.

They were airborne a lot of the time, but naturally, without wings, they finally settled back to Earth. These things were noisier than a hive of hornets.

There even was another Polaris Ranger RZR with a metallic red paint job. There was a young boy that reminded us a lot of Nathaniel because he already was a pro in operating his ATV, which happened to be a Polaris with a 200 cc engine. This kid probably was only 6 or 7 years old and not near as big as Nathaniel, but he was tackling the dunes like he had been born on the seat of an ATV.

Oct. 19, 2008

We were out in the sand early this morning and got some excellent riding before everyone else got out there to stir things up.

Red Ryder is broken in.

It now has the honor of claiming it has been rolled over in the sand! I didn’t hit one of the dunes with enough momentum, and we spun out right at the top, and the machine started backward. There was a big hump in the sand where a clump of bushes were growing, and we rolled over it with just the wheels on the driver side. That was enough to roll the machine onto the passenger side.

We survived the incident with only Alberta having a sprained thumb. Red Ryder suffered no damage. We had to wait a few minutes until someone else came along, and finally two guys showed up. The three of us were able to roll the machine back on its wheels.

Before we went back out, we put on our helmets and fastened the seatbelts. And we’ve been doing that ever since.

Oct. 20, 2008

We left Beaver Sand Dunes at about 9 a.m. We drove north the 3 or 4 miles until we reached Highway 64, and we took Highway 64 to the east and continued driving until we came to Highway 14.

Then, we took Highway 14 south just a few miles, and we were at Little Sahara sand dunes.

We got to the dunes about 11:30 a.m., got the camp trailer into a camping spot, had lunch, unloaded Red Ryder from Humdinger and then took off for the dunes.

Little Sahara has miles and miles of sand dunes. Beaver Dunes has about 10 times as much sand as the Syracuse Dunes. Little Sahara has about 10 times as much sand as Beaver dunes.

After driving around, taking things fairly easy and getting some idea of the layout, we really started playing and climbing dunes. We finally came back to camp after 4 p.m. because the ranger was supposed to come by and collect the fee for the campground. We might as well have stayed out in the sand playing, because he never showed up.

It seems as though we pulled into the campground just about the time the majority of the weekend campers were leaving. Pretty soon, there was only us and one other camper in the entire campground.

Alberta decided to stay at camp just in case someone came to collect a fee, and I went out to play a while and wait for the sunset.

All I saw on the sand was one other ATV. I had all those miles of sand dunes to myself. I saw two deer and a coyote.

Next week: Our journey ends.