Candle culprit in house fire | CraigDailyPress.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Candle culprit in house fire

Neighbors called Craig Fire and Rescue to a structure fire on Finley Lane at about 6:30 p.m. Thursday when they saw smoke coming from the back of Robert Saltzmann’s home.

Saltzmann had lit a candle and inadvertently left it lit when he left to go get something to eat.

When he came back, he found three fire trucks and two police vehicles surrounding his home.



Fire Chief Chris Nichols said the candle ignited a doily and then a china hutch.

The fire spread to the back wall of the house and the floor, which firefighters tore out to extinguish the fire still smoldering.



“It’s pretty minimal,” Nichols said. “It’s cosmetic, no structural damage.”

There was significant smoke damage to the house and its furnishings, though no one was injured. Nichols did not have an estimate on the damage to the house.

Saltzmann lives alone in the house, which is up for sale.

He has applied for a transfer to Arizona, where his family resides.


Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Craig and Moffat County make the Craig Press’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.

 

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User