Business Buzz: Brother’s takes multiple honors at processing convention |

Business Buzz: Brother’s takes multiple honors at processing convention

One Craig business is slicing with the best of them.

Brother’s Custom Processing took home seven awards at Hands Across the Rockies, the Wyoming-Colorado Meat Processors Associations’ annual convention recently at Colorado State University in Fort Collins.

Brother’s received four Grand Champion honors for its smoked turkey bone-in ham, specialty wild game and bacon, as well as Reserve Grand Champion for large diameter luncheon meat and meat snack sticks and a Champion distinction for jerky.

Co-owner Dave Satterwhite said the company typically has done very well at the event since first attending in 2005.

“We’ve won quite a good number of times, but that was a pretty good weekend there,” he said.

Along with the Community Budget Center and Moffat Family Clinic, Brother’s is among the nominees for Small Business of the Year at Wednesday’s State of the County.

Free business consulting with CDOT Thursday

Craig businesses that want to contract work with the Colorado Department of Transportation have a chance to learn about such opportunities this week.

The Northwest Small Business Development Center and The Marianna Raftopoulos Business Success Center invites community members to attend a free consulting opportunity that will teach basic business contracting with CDOT, according to the event brochure.

The event takes place from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Thursday at the CNCC Bell Tower Building in Craig.

Consultant Cathy Kramer from Connect2DOT will be on hand to answer questions during one-on-one, 30 minute consulting sessions.

Those who attend will:

• Get an inside look at how CDOT operates and what they buy

• Learn about the different contracting methods CDOT uses and how to participate in bidding

• Learn how to use Bid Express and the Daily Journal for bidding

• Develop a strategy for becoming a CDOT contractor, consultant or supplier

Pre register by calling 970-968-5802 or email

Northwest Colorado economic figures released

Yampa Valley Data Partners released its FastFacts for Moffat, Rio Blanco and Routt counties, showing the economic boosts and dips in tri-county area.


Moffat County had a favorable unemployment rate at 4.2 percent, Rio Blanco logged 3.2 percent and Routt recorded a 3 percent unemployment rate — combined for a tri-county improvement of 1.2 percent from one year earlier. The December 2014 Colorado unemployment rate was 4.2 percent, and the rate for the entire United States was 5.6 percent.


Mining held its place as the largest industry in terms of total wages for both Moffat and Rio Blanco counties in the third quarter of 2014, accounting for about a fifth of all wages, according to YVDP data. Construction led the way as the largest wage-producing industry in Routt County.

Retail Sales

Latest available state retail sales figures showed Routt County and Rio Blanco County outpaced year-to-date figures from the previous year, with Routt logging a 7 percent increase and Rio Blanco gaining 5 percent. Yet, Moffat County’s data dipped from its previous-year figures by about 6 percent.

Real Estate

January 2015 median list prices for homes were up 10 percent in both Rio Blanco and Routt counties, and were down by 9 percent in Moffat County, compared to the same period last year, according to YVDP’s report. Favorable foreclosure ratios were running lower than one of every 1,000 homes.


January 2015 coal production was up 47 percent in Moffat and 86 percent in Rio Blanco, and down 45 percent in Routt, compared to January 2014. Moffat oil and gas numbers slightly trailed January 2014 figures, while Rio Blanco oil and gas outperformed the previous January.


The end of February found snow-water at Rabbit Ears, Buffalo Pass, Ripple Creek and Burro Mountain running 10 to 20 percent below 10-year averages. Stagecoach and Yamcolo reservoirs were holding at 10 to 25 percent above usual water levels. The Yampa River and White River were flowing 9 to 20 percent above their 2007-2014 averages.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Craig and Moffat County make the Craig Press’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.