Big business: 17 Moffat County students qualify for FBLA state meet
Moffat County High School students really know their business.
Future Business Leaders of America’s district competition took place Feb. 11 at Colorado Mesa University in Grand Junction, and 17 of the 26 MCHS students who participated won the opportunity to compete at the state meet.
At the district meet, MCHS students faced off against FBLA members representing 18 schools from across Northwest Colorado.
“We are so excited about taking so many students to state this year. Students have been working for months on their presentation events, and it shows,” said FBLA advisor and business teacher Krista Schenck. “Our seniors have grown as leaders.”
She credits them with growing the team to 30 members and said it was “a very strong team in a huge variety of events.”
The state meet will be held April 21 through 24 at the Gaylord of the Rockies in Denver.
“Our plan for the state competition is to keep working each week on practicing and reach out to the community for mentors to make sure our work is perfect before state to hopefully send more students to nationals again this year,” Schenck said.
Moffat County High School FBLA state qualifiers
(Student, grade, category)
• Bri Burkett, 12th, sales presentation
• Tyler Gonzales, 12th, and Marlyn Arellano, 11th, publication design
• Caitlin Krause, 12th, and Molly Neton, 12th, emerging business issues
• Hali Reyes, 12th, marketing
• Caitlin Krause, 12th, accounting
• Josh Gumber, 11th, spreadsheet design
• Trinity Schenck, 12th, graphic design
• Sabastian Hershiser, 10th, help desk
• Kyle Robinson, 9th, computer applications
• Emily Magruder, 12th, health administration
• Tauren Farquharson, 11th, public speaking
• Lauren Hilley, 10th, introduction to business communications
• Jacob Jeffcoat, 10th, computer problem solving
• Cody Eckhoff, 9th, cybersecurity
• Tayla Siminoe, 10th, introduction to public speaking
• MaKala Herndon, 11, accounting
Contact Sasha Nelson at 970-875-1794 or snelson@CraigDailyPress.com.