Annie’s Mailbox: Mother is intrusive while living with us |

Annie’s Mailbox: Mother is intrusive while living with us

Dear Annie: My mother always has been a strong presence in my life. Growing up, I couldn’t do anything right. She took things away from me and redid them, or stood over me and directed.

Three years ago, my husband suggested we move my parents in with us because their neighborhood had become drug and gang infested and we feared for their safety. Dad has Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s, which have greatly slowed his movements, but he is still able to feed, bathe and dress himself. However, living with my mom is a nightmare. She pokes her head into our bedroom many times a day and stands over me in the kitchen, often getting between me and whatever I’m doing. I have tried talking to her about it, but it doesn’t help.

We recently bought a house in another city. I would love to get my parents set up in their own place now, but Mom has said she can’t take care of my father by herself. I feel so trapped and guilty. What do I do?

– Wilting in the South

Dear Wilting: There are ways to help your mother care for Dad without sacrificing your happiness and independence. Look into assisted-living facilities close enough for you to visit often. Check out home health care options, including the Visiting Nurse Association ( at 900 19th St., NW, Suite 200, Washington, D.C. 20006. Call the Eldercare Locator ( at 1-800-677-1116 and ask for help. Mom may not like it, but you have to take care of your mental health.

Dear Annie: Thank you for the support you’ve shown in regard to organ, tissue and eye donation. I would like to correct some outdated information in the message from “Dr. Lori in Michigan,” who said the donor’s wishes may be overridden by the family.

The laws on organ donor cards and donor registries vary from state to state, but in many states, a person’s documented donation wish now takes priority over the family’s preference. It works similarly to a legal will – if your wish to become an organ and tissue donor is legally documented, your family cannot change it. However, it is still important to share your wishes with your family so they are not surprised. Their cooperation and support make the process go much more smoothly.

To find out how to sign up as an organ and tissue donor in your state, please visit Donate Life America ( and click on “Commit to Donation.” Readers in Canada should contact their local organ recovery organization to learn how to sign up in their province. On behalf of the more than 100,000 Americans awaiting a lifesaving organ transplant, thank you.

– Jennifer Tislerics, Gift of Life Michigan

Dear Jennifer Tislerics: We appreciate the clarification. Any readers interested in making a lifesaving donation should check your Web site.

Annie’s Mailbox is written by Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar, longtime editors of the Ann Landers column. Please e-mail your questions to, or write to: Annie’s Mailbox, P.O. Box 118190, Chicago, IL 60611. To find out more about Annie’s Mailbox, and read features by other Creators Syndicate writers and cartoonists, visit the Creators Syndicate Web page at

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Craig and Moffat County make the Craig Press’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.

For tax deductible donations, click here.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User