Annie’s Mailbox: Is court-ordered test next step? |

Annie’s Mailbox: Is court-ordered test next step?

Dear Annie: I have been married to “Sam” for two years. Before we were together, Sam was in a relationship with “Sara,” who became pregnant. She claimed the baby was his, and he believed her. He took care of this child and loved him. But Sara started seeing her ex-boyfriend when he was released from prison. That made Sam question whether the child was his.

After we married, Sam demanded a paternity test. Sara said she needed to ask her boyfriend because he was raising this child. The boyfriend refused. Sara waffled back and forth, saying both men were the father of her baby.

Recently, the child was removed from her home because of abuse accusations. Even though this boy now looks a great deal like Sam, the authorities will not turn him over to us because Sara claims her boyfriend is the father.

If this child is Sam’s, he wants to take responsibility. He asked again for a paternity test, and Sara refused. Now she claims the child is not his and the only reason she originally said so was for support money. But, Annie, the time frame doesn’t match up. As far as we can determine, her boyfriend was in prison when she became pregnant. I think she refuses a paternity test because she doesn’t want Sam to get custody. Is there anything else my husband can do other than getting a court-ordered paternity test?

— Baby Mama Drama

Participate in The Longevity Project

The Longevity Project is an annual campaign to help educate readers about what it takes to live a long, fulfilling life in our valley. This year Kevin shares his story of hope and celebration of life with his presentation Cracked, Not Broken as we explore the critical and relevant topic of mental health.

Dear Drama: Does Sam want custody of this child? If so, he needs to pursue it before the child’s attachments become stronger. That means a court-ordered paternity test, because obviously, Sara is never going to acquiesce on her own. It will also clear up the question of whose child it is and settle the matter once and for all.

Dear Annie: My wife and I enjoy a great marriage, but from time to time, her sister invites us over for parties. Her house is filthy and absolutely disgusting.

We don’t know how to handle the situation. I have an 8-year-old son and don’t really want him spending time in that nauseating house. My wife can put up with it in order to be with her sister, but I don’t want to go there. Should we be honest about why, or do we continue to make excuses for my absence?

— Indiana Dad

Dear Indiana: We’re surprised the other party guests continue to show up if the house is such a pigsty. Are we talking dirty dishes in the sink (minor) or rotting food in the living room and rats scurrying about (call the health department)? If their home is a health hazard to small children who live there, your wife should speak to her sister and explain the need to be more conscientious. Otherwise, this falls under the MYOB category. If you can’t tolerate the mess, don’t go. But let your wife be your guide when it comes to how best to handle her sister.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Craig and Moffat County make the Craig Press’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User