2 structure fires hit Craig within 12 hours
Two structure fires threatened homes in Craig with one igniting Tuesday night and the other early Wednesday morning, but no one was injured and no homes were destroyed.
Craig Mayor Terry Carwile’s attic caught fire at about 7:30 p.m. Tuesday night.
“Last night was a fire in an attic space,” said Fire Chief KC Hume. It was extinguished “relatively quickly.”
Carwile said he returned home from a photography class and smelled smoke, but it took him a while to determine the source of the smell.
“I looked all over the place,” he said. “Finally I hear this pop and that got my attention. I noticed the light above my fireplace was flickering a bit.”
The ceiling was warm to the touch, so he called 911.
The cause of the fire was determined to be an “electrical short,” Hume said.
No one was hurt and the damage to the mayor’s home was minimal. The flames burned a hole in the ceiling, but the structural integrity of Carwile’s house is intact.
I “got lucky,” Carwile said. “If it would have been a few more minutes it could have been a serious problem.”
Then, at 5:30 a.m. Wednesday, Craig Fire/Rescue was dispatched yet again to tackle a structure fire, this time a detached garage on the 1200 block of Country Club Drive.
“Work performed in the space in the day prior was a likely cause of the fire,” Hume said.
The garage was a loss, but Hume said it was likely that the owner would be able to salvage many personal belongings within the space. No one was injured.
Contact Erin Fenner at 970-875-1794 or efenner@CraigDailyPress.com.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Craig and Moffat County make the Craig Press’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
It takes a kind and caring person to make a connection with a child or adult with special needs. And, Tiffany Ripkoski-Taylor certainly fits into that skill set.